Baby mud puppies?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catfish_jordan, Jan 23, 2007.

1. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    has any body used baby to small mud pupies? 1 lake i go 2 has a lot of them so i have a endless supply of them if they can make it threw winter.

2. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i've tried them but if i didnt cut them first they would just get me in snags but i have heard that flatties love them in the fall and early spring.....if you do any good on them let me know cause i live on the muskingum river in ohio and there is also a endless supply of them here

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    what is a mud puppy? are you talking about salamander newts?

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Good ? what in Blue Blazes is a mud puppy.

5. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    hahaha....it is a very large salamander.....its also known as a water dog

6. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Yea, James thats what I call them too. I used them when I fished Texas years ago, south of Lubbock. We caught channels and blues in the big ponds, those little ponds, tanks they called them, is where we sained the water dogs.

7. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    im glad to hear they do work ill have to try them when it worms up some here....i've tried them late this year tring my luck but i didnt do to good just costed myself alot of money in tackle

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I used them in Texas with good success.

9. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    do you cut them or just set a hook into them....ive never figured that out yet cause i haven't had ay succes with them

10. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We used to use water puppies all of the time when we were commercial fishing with 100 hook trot lines. We used to cut them into chunks about 1/2" wide. I've never tried them on R&R,because all of the ponds we used to seine them out of have either been bulldozed in or have dried up. I wish I could find some,because we used to catch some big fish on them. The only part we wouldn't use was the tail! If you had any cuts on your hands you would know it when you baited the hooks. The only thing we could figure out, was that white milky liquid inside of them had some kind of poison in it. You talk about burning,boy that would make your hands burn! I couldn't help but respond to this post,as it brought back a lot of memories.
    Glenn

11. coldgold

coldgold New Member

State:
    missouri
    i would think they would be killer bait for flathead if ya used em alive, you would have to put your weight on the bottom and your hook up on the line though to keep em from burying themself in the rocks or mud

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have used them for channel cat and had good luck. Hook them live. Lake only had channels so not sure about other cats.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Now that i know what you are talking about . Heck yeah i used to use them on both trotlines and r&r hook it through the lips or just behind the back legs above the spine they are also killer BIG BASS bait in the spring

14. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Someone got mad at me one time and called me a mud puppy LOL

Wheelmobile07

15. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    sorry i looked on the internet and mudpuppies were not the thing that are in the lake.they kind of look like a mega size tadpole. big head no fins small eyes small sucker mouth and eel like body. they like a muddy bank to dig in. i just thought that it was a mudpuppy larva kind of like a tadpole to a frog.any clue to what im talking about.

16. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Had tremendous luck back in kansas with them. Mud puppies or salamanders. Mud puppies are like salamanders except that they have gills like a fish. They will try to bury themselves in the mud or bottom when using them as bait because they know there in a world of trouble. Bass love em 2

17. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Are you talking about dog fish, They are nasty and mean but they might work

18. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    We call them mud puppies up in Wis. they are excellent catfish bait , they last along time , I use them on bank poles alot.I use gloves to handle them, they give me the creeps ! Giving them a little cut improves them as bait.

19. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    they work pretty damn good on a float rig or pastnoster rig

20. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I havent seen one in years, I have always heard them called water dogs.
    I have cought them a couple of times on a rod & reel. We used to see a lot of them in the winter at night while we were gigging. Nasty, slimey things, look like lizzards with gills. They start getting real slimmy when you try to take one off the hook. Cats should be able to smell the slime bags.
    Good Luck
    Olddriller