Baby Flatheads in aquariums - Is it illegal in Illinois?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by DensSang, Mar 28, 2006.

1. DensSang

DensSang New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Are they illegal to keep in an Aquarium

2. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I don't see why not but within a few years they would certainly grow to big of course. Raised 2 albino channels in a 30 gal. back in the late 70's, they both got about 10-12 inches long before I sold my aquarium---I know you can get around 3" albino channels at the pet store for around 5-6 bucks at times.

3. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Anybody know about the legality of keeping wild animals for pets in general? My dad used to tell me stories about this pet raccoon he used to have. He said it was a lot of fun til it got big and mean and tried to hibernate in my grandma's washing machine. She wouldn't let him have pets after that.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Caught a 4 inch Channel one spring and put it in a 50gal. By next spring he had to go..tore up the plants, fouled the water, and ate the tropicals.. Went from 4 to 14 + in a year. I had no clue they grew that fast.
    PS Baby crawdads in a tank is not a good idea either...don't ask....LOL!

5. greenwing7

greenwing7 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am fairly sure that most game fish species are illegal to keep in aquariums but I am not sure about catfish since they are not a sportfish like bass and those sort of fish, I do know that raccoons are illegal to keep under current laws, I am sure that there is some sort of license that you have to have under our micromanaging government

6. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    The fish I am not sure about, when I was a kid we always had a pet coon around, they would grow up and leave then we would have to find another kitten in the spring and tame it. If you have a coon now you have to have a breeders license, they are cheap and can be obtained over the net at the DNR home page, the only catch is you have to get your coon from another licensed breeder, in other words they don't want you catching wild coons and penning them up. Find the closest coon hunters club and talk to the president, he will tell you how to keep the possum police from getting upset with you.

7. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Well you can keep them here in Kansas (fish that is). But they are hell on your other fish. I used to bring home snacks to my Oscars. The loved small perch and gills.

8. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I think it would be cool to catch a couple of very small catfish and put them in a araium to see how big they get and how fast