Baby flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAYNC, Mar 21, 2007.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Where or how can you catch baby flatheads. I have wanted a tiny one for my aquarium for so long and everytime I am catfishing I have the ultralight out but all I ever catch are small blues channels and eels. I think I would pay someone for a small one if they got it for me. I have been trying to get one for a couple years.

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Go to you conservation department they can tell you where you can get em, my brother-in-law has some channel cat in an big aquarium and feeds the gold fish, IT"S COOL to watch.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Don't bother, they won't live in captivity. I've tried numerous time without sucess. They belong in the river.

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    at a local park they have a nature center and have this big aquarium with like 2 channels and a blue in it, about a pound each. and i was talking to one of the guyswho work there and he said that a few years ago they had 3 flatheads in there and they died within a few weeks. wonder why? i had a channel i cought one time in my aquarium that was like, almost 8 pounds. he could hardly turn around and he lived for a long time.

5. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Check for places that sell fish to stock ponds with. I know there is a place here that sells them. I have a 4lb flathead living in a 75 gal. aquarium. It has been living in there for 7 months now. He eats goldfish, bluegills, and baby carp. The carps seems to be his favorite.

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    There are a few BIG flats in the aquarium at the Cabela's I visit. Those things OWN the dark secluded areas. They will literally stand on their heads to be behind a stump or other cover. If you do try to keep them, give them some cover & some darkness, otherwise it might be stress that kills them.

7. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I have caught a few baby flathead like less than 1 pound on nightcrawler.

8. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    cool to know...i'd love to see flatties in an aquarium. thats awesome.

9. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I had one in a 55 gallon tank for about two years.Died one night when I changed the water had it to hot .

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Interesting point. My aquarium had cover, but I think it was too lighted.

So flatheads do hate light?

11. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well considering how clear fish tank water is compaired to a muddy river and the fact they are mainly nocturnal and they dont have eye lids I would say they could get stressed out fairly easily.

Perhaps just light the tank with a black light.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well, I have a bluecat and a white cat in there right now and have had them in there for about 7-8 months now. I guess I will just keep trying to catch some small ones on worm when I go out, maybe even some small crappie minnows at night will get their attention.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Why not settle for a Mad Tom? They resemble a flathead, stay small and can adapt to aquarium life easer.:big_smile:

14. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I'm no biologist, but it makes sense when you consider everything we know about them (live in the snags, best fishing at night, etc).

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Jason,

I was too busy yapping about aquariums that i forgot to answer your questions.

To catch really small flatheads, use worms or crawdads. The little flatties lovwe em.

16. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I will keep trying, I think I will have to get closer to the shoreline and fish the worms right next to a trash pile. With all the giant fish in this river system they are probably to scared to come out into open water and that is probably why I'm not catching any small ones.

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The only time I caught a truly small one ( about 6 in ) was on a rocky sand bar in 1 ft of water at night. I caught him on a worm but he was probably there hunting crayfish. That area is populated with them, plus they were molting, "soft shells".

18. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    I caught a small one and put him in my 55 gal tank. He lived all summer and I turned him loose in the fall. He was 8 inches when I caught him and over ten when I let him go. I only keep native game fish in my tank and never use any artifical light. The fish I have trouble keeping alive are creek suckers.

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah John, you have to have plenty of current going to keep creek suckers and chubs alive. Have you ever noticed how bossy those Bluegills get. lol :lol:

20. semper fi

semper fi New Member

State:
    virginia
    I have seen em a few times during late summer up near the boat docks of a couple local lakes, I caught a couple in a hat one year they were about 2 inches long and looked like a little mini version of their great great grandmamas cutest little boogers you ever saw...