Baby deer

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by psychomekanik, Jun 7, 2007.

1. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the day before yesterday, it started raining really hard while i was at work. a couple of buddies and i walked up to the big overhead door and looked outside. when all of a sudden a large doe stood up in a thin grass strip in the middle of a small field and walked away slowly. a fawn came to it's feeble feet and wobbly trailed behind her. i was so shocked. i said "she just had that thing"!! well yesterday when i left for lunch i noticed the neighbor was cutting grass in his yard. when i got back from lunch i noticed the doe frantically running around, reluctant to leave. i knew what was wrong. i looked around till i spotted the fawn caught up in a fence. i worked it out of it, and sat it down. it was favoring it's right front leg. i put it in the shade really close to the fence where it was caught. but by now the doe had ran off. my buddy went home and grabbed a fawn bleat and we called her back in. she hung around for some time, but since the fawn would'nt get up and walk with her she kept leaving it. i thought it would be o-k eventually. i went home. then went shopping. right before dark, i went back to check on it. it was still in the same spot. it was getting cold, it had fly eggs collecting on it's butt from pooping on itself. it was obvious the mother had no idea what to do.. i cleaned it up and took it to the U of I vet med center. they said they thought it had a fractured shoulder blade. they would give it medical attention, and then off to a rehabilitator. I hope he makes it. this poor little guy had one heck of a day...

Attached Files:

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I commend you Sir,and give you Reps for what you have done. It shows me you have a big heart.That picture sure is precious. I too hope he makes it and maybe someday can be returned to the wild.If not perhaps he can go to a wild animal park.Thank you for saving it's life.:big_smile::big_smile:

3. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    I think that is amazing. I have pet deer before but I have never held or touched a fawn before. Thats really something that you saved that poor guy. Maybe he'll have a long life.

4. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for being kind to the animals.:big_smile: Most people now days wouldn't have even bothered to get it out of the fence. It's nice to see that there are still caring people out there. I'm sure the vets will fix it up and it will live a happy life.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I know they say not to touch them or they'd be abandoned but in this case you absolutely did the right thing! thank you.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hope the deer makes it. Thanks for trying to help.

7. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That was really good stewardship, Mark :smile2: Thanks for caring! Enjoyed the story and photo, too.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Sure hope the little guy makes it but he does look very fit in his picture.I always feel the good Lord rewards those that go out of their way to offer a helping hand so buy some lottery tickets!!!!!:lol:This is actually my most hazardous time of year because all the box turtles around here are breeding and wandering around including across highways.One day I'll probably get a free 4 mile ride on a semi like the guy in Mich in a wheelchair because I cant let them stay out in the middle of the road to get run over.I'll stop and carry them to the side they are heading.Last year I was heading to Santee with the boat down Highway 17 and I stopped, ran back and carried a big one across.While I'm standing there a nice little old Japanese lady stopped her car and ran up to me.She could barely speak english but she kept saying "you nice man".She insisted on giving me a bunch of cucumbers as a reward,so the morale of the story is "Save a turtle ,make a salad".Good for the turtles but hard on the cucumbers.:lol::eek:oooh::smile2:Do cucumbers feel pain???:wink:pS I won 275$ in a drawing at a local bar last week so I figure the turtles are paying off because its the third time I've won in the last year.:smile2:

9. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    i have sat in a treestand and watched a fawn dissappear in 6in tall grass in front of me!