Baby-Clicker monitor - A Strike indicator for catfishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by dinkbuster1, Dec 19, 2005.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thought some of you might like to see what i come up with last year for that "far away" pole when bankfishing . all it is is a modified baby monitor. you can pick up a used baby monitor system at just about any thrift store for under two bucks. most often the monitor end has to be powered by a wall adapter but as you can see i made a 9 volt battery wire that plugs in where the cord goes. i also glued a velcro holder on the back. mine is a 9 volt system that will run about 12 to 14 hrs on two rechargeables. much more reliable and cheaper than those pager systems. i have a total of $1.85 in this.(excluding batteries)

Attached Files:

• bm2.jpg
      bm2.jpg
      File size:
      27.7 KB
      Views:
    • bm1.jpg
      bm1.jpg
      File size:
      49.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dinkbuster,

Do you have a picture with it setup for catfishing? How do you use it exactly?

Paul

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Don't try to board a plane with that. LOL!

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Looks like a great idea. I'd love to see how you attach it to your line, or is it for listening for clickers? If you'd post some pics and detailed instructions on how to modify it, I'll get it in the library so everyone will always have access to it. Thanks for sharing Mike!

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I do it, it work's awesome. I learned it from a Catfish expert thats about 70+ yr old and has been fishing since he was a kid. He has caught blue cats up to 70 lb, and all using baby monitors.

This is how he does it:

Ok first of all he is on the bank, and he uses HUGE bait like whole 12 inch shad, I mean this guy is a hardcore guy. And he uses like penn 3/0 senators with 50 lb mono line on it, so he cant reall cast it out. So what he does is he uses a kayak to tow his bait's way out into the channel of the lake we fish and that's where the big blues usually run. Then he comes back to shore and put's the poles into poleholders......And see he lives right on the lake, so he put's a baby monitor beside his poles and walks to his house to keep warm and just listens until one takes off clicking. It work's great, I've done it when I had a little tent in the winter. I would just have one baby monitor outside and one inside the tent.

Good luck :)

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    all you do is set the monitor end next to the reel or reels you want to keep track of (see pic) and keep the receiver near you or on you. i think mine has a 100+ yard range. ive walked pretty far away and still was in range. the only modification i done was to the monitor. i just took the plug end from the wall adapter, cut it off, and attached a 9 volt plug that i ripped out of an old clock radio. these things are very sensitive and are designed to wake parents out of a deep sleep so go easy on the volume, they'll make you jump the first time a clicker goes off. try to stay with a 9 volt system, they have longer battery life and and all you need is two batteries. i'd advise getting the rechargeables.

Attached Files:

• bm3.jpg
      bm3.jpg
      File size:
      21.4 KB
      Views:
  7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Dinkbuster, that is really clever. I will have to give that a try. Thank you for sharing!
    Katmaster, rowing your bait out to the spot is cracking me up, but I guess it would work and beats sitting in a small boat for hours! Learn something new everyday.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Phillip,
    positioning the baits by boat is a good technique to know. I have a little inflatable dingy I have used to row them out to places that are almost impossible to cast to. A good trick is to get under overhanging trees and use a clothes pin to clip the line so the bait (live bluegill) is suspended right at the surface and making a splash. It beats wading or swimming them out, yes I've done that too...W

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, all of those are great techniques to know. I have also done all of them, even the wading thing. And the boat thing does beat wading! :eek: I know guy's that do it in saltwater for shark's!!! They go out beside the pier and carry thier huge bait's way out, and I've watched them catch many 10+ footers in Florida!
    I just use a ballon rig or a beachball to get my big baits out in saltwater.

good luck :)

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    funny as it may sound placing a bait by a boat is about the only option you have when bankfishing with very large baits. i have a lake i fish where the place i want the bait is about 75 yards out. try and cast a 1 or 2lb bait that far! cant be done. you can hook your bait really deep but when tyring to set the hook from that far out with a hook that deep is impossible.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah your right! That's why I usually do the boat thing, or use a ballon rig. You'll just about break your pole just trying to cast huge bait out like that. :eek: :eek:

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Makes sense to me! I use a bait boat to get my line out to 300 yards. but not 2 lbs of bait! If you use power pro or other super line, you can still set the hook pretty good, but with mono it would be impossible!

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey Delta, where did you get your bait boat from? and how much did it cost?
    Thank's! :)

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Dinkbuster, your posts were copied into the library today. Thanks for sharing with us.

15. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I paid about 80 bucks for it!
    Its called a "bait shuttle". They use to have a website, but I dont think it's up anymore. There is a sticker on mine with the number and address.
    Bait shuttle
    P.O. box3052
    Richmond W.A. 99352
    Toll Free 1888 224 8347
    A lot of guys where I fish are making there own from "niko" r.c. boats and dumping the servos and radio, adding outriggers and a disconnect. These boats are faster and more powerful then mine. A couple of the guys had to go back to the drawing board because the boats were getting up on plane and making the bait dizzy :rolleyes: If you want a "bait Shuttle" and cant connect with the bait shuttle people, get back to me and I will help you get one. I will try to get some pictures up soon!

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank's man! I will contact that company and see if I can order a "last minute Christmas fishing gift"....LOL...Thank's again, good luck :)

17. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have often thought about the rc boat but havent tried it because now i fish mainly from a boat but there have been alot of times i wish i had gotten one because casting in and around trees is a real chore.

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the 9v rechargables died on me a couple months ago so i done a test the past 2 days to see how long a regular Energizer lasted. those rechargeables go bad really fast if you do not use then a lot and i really didnt want to invest $20 on 2 new ones. well, i checked the monitor part (receiver was on wall adapter) at 6:30 this evening and it was still picking up the slightest sound, just checked it again at 11:45 and the poer light was still on but iw barely picked up me yelling. it had been on since tuesday at 6pm, so a regular $2.45 energizer will last approx 48+ hrs straight on my model.

19. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Mike, thats a great idea, I dont normally leave my rods that far apart and unlike Mellon, Im able to stay awake past 9:00 PM so I doubt I would use it but, it still is a great idea, thanks for the idea if and when I get to that point, Ill be sure to hook one up.
    Pendog likes to set his rods up a half a mile down the bank and then come to where I am and talk,its enjoyable watching him stumble run down the bank in the dark when he sees his rods bouncing!!

Salmonid

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    This sounds like this would also work , just to make your clicker louder. I know some people say that they're clickers are not very loud. I think I will try this just to be able to hear my clickers better. Great idea though. Thanks. :)