Baby Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catmanofohio, Jul 5, 2006.

1. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Here are some baby catfish that i have in my fishtank. Im guessing there are anywhere between 30-40 of them, i think they are channels but im not too sure yet. I also have a catfish that stays in that log thats about 7 in. long and about 7-8 oz, lol... ill have to post pics when i can get them fixed... too large atm

2. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    I've got a little mudcat in my tank. He wakes up at night and sets his head in the corner while he kicks his tail as hard and fast as he can. Spews gravel everywhere. Funny little fish...

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Just hollar if you need help resizing those pics.

4. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    poor little fish, probably wants back free. I caught 4 1-inch bullheads 2 weeks ago and got my tank out... and thought a while. I decided they would be better off back in the lake, so I put them back. I really wanted them, but I also wanted them to be happy. Maybe if I get a 200 gallon tank when I graduate from everything (Around 10 years, I'm 14 right now) I'll keep a little one or two.

5. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    well im just keeping them till they are large enuff to survive in my uncle and cousins ponds, about 3-4 inch, that should be about 4 months

6. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Posting these for Catmanofohio.....here ya go brother.

7. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    yeah there they are, my babies, lol thanks matt

8. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Anytime brother, just hollar if ya need the help.

9. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Awesome....

I've heard from people at my bait shop that catching fish in the lake and putting them in your home aquarium is illegal in Texas. Is this true?

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Kyle , they were probably safer in your tank. you might have learned something about them after watching them for a few months untl bigger to release. My son had a bluegill in our tan when he was your age. It grew to be about 5 inches long in a littel over a year, but it eat everyother fish we put with it. I didn't know blue gills were that mean. it even eat a picosumus (SP) . I would come home and find the pic in the filter tankon the back. it had to jump over there to get away from gilly.

11. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I had a goggle eye in a tank one time that was the meanest fish I ever saw, it killed every thing that I put in there. I had a 4 inch crawfish in there, Fred the goggle eye, killed it. I would hand feed it worms, that fish would hit my hand as hard as it could. I'm glad he didn't have big teath.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    those are some cute baby cats. they look like channels to me. we used to get them in for sale at the petshop i used to manage. if you had a close up of em it'd help better.

13. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    alright ill go try a close pic

14. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Here is a close up i dunno how good it will be...

Attached Files:

15. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    My guess would be Bullheads.

16. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    baby bullhead/flathead? not channel cause theres no fork in the tail.

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Little Channel Cats have a forked tail,little specks or spots and a narrow head with that little narrow bait stealing mouth.Their mouth widens out later in life.I think a common Bullhead can survive under the worst conditions.With open wells it was common practice to put them in your well to keep your drinking water clean.You did not EVER feed the fish.It survived on what ever fell into your well.Those fish would live for unbelievable lengths of time according to many older people.peewee-williams

18. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    In Calif, it is illegal to transport any live fish! Still, it seems like fun to watch them grow!

19. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Laws are weird sometimes....
    Cool fish!

20. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    just judging by tail and anal fin shape, they look like either bullheads or something called madtoms (i think thats their name) just wait and keep feeding them hotdog pieces and/or chopped up liver... something with some good protien in it... though i think your gonna need to go get a bigger tank sooner rather then later... just go to craigslist or freecycle (both with .com after it and go to the city closest to you on the lists) and find one, two or how ever many you need for cheap/free in somecases... Take more pics as they grow up... also if you can hold on to one and look at the toothplate on the upper jaw... if it extends back into the mouth, kind of like a U with the 2 ends pointing to the back of the throat, then they are flatheads... if not they are most likely bullheads... and if you keep them for years and they don't get much bigger then about 4 inches then they are a minnow species like the madtoms (its a minnow catfish, very cool actually)