Babloa Pier / Newport Fishing Report

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Jedi007, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    Was able to get in a little more fishing today when the family decided to go down to Newport Beach. We did the family time in the sand and surf and then My father in law, his brother, and I went over to the pier from about 3:30 pm to about 6:30 pm. We were using the Sabiki Hooks and ended up catching about 10 or 11 Mackeral before we decided to pack it up. (It started getting REALLY cold around 6 pm)

I did see a couple of smaller shovel nose sharks come out of the water 1.5 - 2 ft long. Another guy had caught a couple of yellow croakers about mid way down the pier.

Was hoping for more (I always do), but was happy picking up some mackeral (bait) for the kittys.

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Next time try a little surf fishing if the beach isn't crowded. I hear the croakers and surf perch are good around there. Berkley Gulp sand crabs are supposed to be the hot ticket.

3. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    Berkley Gulp sand crabs huh? I may have to look into that. Never heard of it but then again allot of new things pass me by. I always just got wet and caught my own soft shells

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Where are you located, Ugly? Down at Huntington/Bolsa Chica state beach every year Berkeley Gulp hosts an open surf fishing derby. It sure shows the utility of their products when Gulp out produces natural baits. I've used their salt water baits for rock fish and out caught live bait 3:1.
    I've been thinking of giving surf fishing a go and would like a little more information about what gear and rigging would be best. Also Malibu state beach is just down Topanga Canyon Rd. and I'm wondering if it's a good area to fish. Having lived the last 15 years in O.C. and before that the I.E. I'm not to up on the Santa Monica Bay.

5. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    From what I have been reading Santa Monica Bay is where they have all of the Shark Fishing Party Boats. They supposedly target the Mako and Thresher Sharks. Other than that, I do not know a lot about the area.

I will be heading back down to Balboa Pier this weekend with my oldest son. I would like to start off at the end of the pier, if I can get a nice spot. I will check around for the Gulp Bait and pick up some if I can find it.

They have been pulling out some of the Shovel Nose Sharks and I would like to catch a couple of them. Call it a personal mission.

When I was out there about a month ago I had a great time. The thing I like about the pier is even the Mackeral are fun to catch, because you don't always know what you are going to get. Last time I caught a star fish about the size of a dinner plate. Imagine my surprise. Depending on the action, we may move midway or closer to the shore and try for the croaker. I appreciate the tip.

6. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    The more research I have been doing the more it looks like I have been talking about the wrong pier. I think the pier I have fishing off of is actually the Newport Pier.

I had pulled up a website and my pier did not look like the Balboa Pier. It is the one that is at the end on Newport Drive, Street, Road!? So I think it is the Newport Pier.

Anyway, I took your suggestion and picked up some medium sized Berkley Gulp Sand Crabs. I am excited to test them out. THe back of the package says, "It is like a having a blood trail in the water..." So we will see. Thanks again for the tip.