Baaaad weekend to fish? or am i doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ohiocattin15, Aug 3, 2009.

1. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fished the indian lake tournament this past weekend. since there were like 800 entries i knew i wouldnt get in the money (not really that it matters i just like to catch fish) i fished all three days and caught one fish. a 2 pound channel when i was anchored off an island. i tried drifting and i anchored on structure alot. What do you guys think i should do...buy a depthfinder and learn how to read it? or anything because i know i could have caught more fish. i am just frustrated because im new to fishing out of a boat and i need help guys.

2. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well I'm not by any means a professional fisherman,but if you just started the most important thing is just keep fishing. The biggest thing is to develop water on the brain till you think like a fish. :smile2: As you fish more and more you will start to see patterns in fish habits that are determined by weather ,light, spawning and time of year. People will tell you stuff that will help you but all in all the things that you experience will stick with you the longest. Most of the learning experiences will seem so simple that you will be amazed that you never thought of it before , others will just amaze you that it matters to the fish,but it does. In your defense I did hear from several people that the fishing at Indian Lake was extremely rough this weekend. My fishing was also terrible until I changed from deeper water to fishing the shallows, then it improved considerably.. The water temps have reeked havoc on my success for about a month...

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I have to agree with post above me just keep fishing. Might want to change up baits also. Trying live gills an if no bite try the heads cut. If that is not working try shad an other baits. I'm sure it was just the fish being picky on what they were feeding on. Might even be the baits were either too large or too small just my thoughts on this one.

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    experience pays off.i know that i always wanted a boat i could catch a lot bigger and more fish,lol.my dad has had a couple of boats,and it just isn't that easy.......:crazy:

you can buy a fish finder fairly cheap,as long as it reads the bottom and you can see where the structure is,is really the main thing.we have been looking at a couple around the 400 dollar area that has gps on it to mark waypoints to come back to at a later time.but,you don't really need that,just makes it a little easier.

5. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    dont feel bad we fished indian lake also this weekend.and got a big zero on the board.lol we usally do good ,the weather had them in tight to cover.It was horrible all weekend.I would say it was the weather more than anything that made them slow down.If you were fishing for the big ones anyway.The dinks are a dime a dozen with conventional baits even in bad weather.Hope this helps some.Good luck next time

6. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am almost positive i had one of those few flats on. I was fishing the log jam between the state park and blackhawk. right by lucys hole. and i let a little too much slack in my line and a fish took off with my live chub right into the jam and i got my sinker stuck, didnt feel like a big fish but better than the 2 lb channel i caught by the moose

7. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    yeah it sounds like you did.A friend of mine caught 3 flatties during the tourny, but hey were only 3 or 4 lbers.Yeah im still a little frustrated from the weekend

8. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dont blame you one bit. for all the hours that you ( i definatly did) probably spent on the water there really wasnt a pay off. one thing about that big fish tourney in ten years there is gonna be some biig flattys winning it. channels wont really have a chance. tactics will change and it will draw more ppl with big flats.

9. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    yeah I believe that. I heard people were bringing flats from other places 30 plus #ers,and putting them in the lake for that tourny.Thats the reason for the lie detector tests.

10. redline65

redline65 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think it was a slow weekend, weather sucked all week and when we went out friday I had one hit and we called it a short night.

11. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah that should definatly help. i bet people try to do it, find a pond or go to a river and catch a bigger fish and try to weigh it in, those people ruin it for everyone else