Ba$$ fishermen caught cheating in tournaments...facing 10 felonies

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Tulcat, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Fishing tournament buddies charged with felonies

Two men were charged with 10 felonies after being accused of cheating in fishing tournaments on Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley on the Kentucky-Tennessee border. Marshall and Lyon county grand juries on Tuesday indicted Dwayne E. Nesmith of Island, and Brian K. Thomas of Dawson Springs on nine counts of theft by deception of over $300 in Marshall County, Kentucky, one count of complicity to commit theft by deception of over $300 and one count of attempted theft by deception of over $300 in Lyon County.

Authorities say investigation of the pair started April 30, when the men allegedly stashed five live bass in a fish basket in the water, then picked them up to weigh in at the Relay for Life Buddy Bass Tournament at the Lake Barkley State Resort Park.

Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources Sgt. Bill Snow said someone reported the bass, which were marked with clippings in their fins.

Snow said that Nesmith and Thomas were witnessed picking up the fish early on the morning of April 30, then putting their catch in the boat, and that the men allegedly entered three of the stashed fish in the tournament's weigh-in at the end of the day.

That sparked an investigation into tournaments the pair had previously won.

Kentucky State Police Sgt. Brent White said Nesmith and Thomas won several thousand dollars and a bass boat worth $30,000 by allegedly catching fish before a tournament, then submitting the fish as being caught during the competition.

The two men were arrested Tuesday after the grand juries handed up the indictments. (Source: Submitted through Newswire and The Paducah Sun, a service of the Associated Press)

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Well, All I can say is GOOD!!! I hate Cheaters and Thieves. These two are both, IMO!!!

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'll see if I can work up a teer for em! LOL! I like hearin things like that.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Those two aint bass fishermen they are just thieves and crooks and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. It is the types like that, that ruin it for everyone not just the bass guys but everyone. Just another thing the peta jerks can use to further thier quest to outlaw fishing.

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Mutts right, poachers aren't hunters and these two aren't fisherman!

6. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That why I hate fishing tourtament like that! I'm glad they got caught

Josh

7. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Typical bass fisherman, dishonest thieves. Just playing, I'm a bass fisherman at times. But I'm glad they caught those guys, cheating and stealing are never the right answer.

8. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    They dont desevre to be called fisherman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CHEATS and THEIVES are what they should be called!!!!!!!!!!!! descraces the FISHERMAN name.
    :ah:

9. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Those guys arent fisherman. Cheats and thieves!

10. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    im sorry but that makes me sick, wining all that money and not doin anything.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I full heartedly agree with the statements that these guys are just common criminals. They think they are so smart to figure out a way to get fame and fortune. BUT, I hesitate to point my finger at bass fishermen, because when the catfish tournaments get as big and as popular as the bass tournaments, we will be reading about catfishermen...no, we will be reading about criminals catching catfish.

12. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    They should get a cell with the view of a lake and a rod hanging right out of reach.

13. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    awshucks........... u are right on the button with that statement.........hate to see the day the big $$$$$$$$$ get in folk's eyes ... but u are right , that day is coming and not too far off either.............:sad2:

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    When I was in Cal, we went out deep sea fishing and my buddy had the biggest fish, well second. Then we stepped off the boat, the guy with the biggest got off and dropped his biggy, dang if sinkers didn't fall out of the fishes mouth, then he stumbled again and him, his fish , his R&R all seemed to fall in the water. Goodness what a mess. Maybe he had a little help stumbleing, maybe not, but it happened. The 50 bucks he won, deffinetly didn't pay for his R&R, I am almost sure of that.

15. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    My two cents worth...If they go to trial, I'd love to be on the jury.

16. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have Jury Duty July 5 it's a shame it is not that trial!

17. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I want to see them punished to the fullest extent of the law. Whenever people break the law in outdoor sports it never looks good for all of us who follow the rules.

18. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hope they take everything away from them. That's why I don't enter Big Buck Contests anymore. The last one I was in the winner spotlighted his deer then got drunk and bragged about it after winning.

19. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    they diserve the 10 felonys

that has left me speechless:angry:

20. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    I agree, these two should not be called fisherman but instead called what they are, lowlife scums that cheat, lie, and steal!