B.O.C Members around Indianapolis?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by ironape2, May 21, 2009.

1. ironape2

ironape2 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Me and my father have been wanting to try and learn catfishing. Anyone up near indianapolis able to point us in the right direction? Any tips? I think we are going to try and do it again this weekend. We both like to eat channels so I think we are mainly targeting 1-5#'s I keep getting snagged and losing gear. Poles are carolina rigged with a circle hook.

Any tips on location or technique would be appreaciated.

2. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you are going after smaller eater cats I'd ditch the circle hook and go to a J style or Kahle. The circles work when the fish makes a good enough run to set the hook on it's own. Most of the bait stealers I've ever caught don't do that, you need to be able to cross his eyes, lol. Carolina rig a 3/0 or 4/0 style J hook...I think that'll serve you better.

No matter what you do you'll lose rigs to snags and other crap-- that's just part of the game. "If you ain't losing rigs, you ain't catfishin'..."

Welcome to the BOC. There are several guys that prowl around the Indy area, I'm sure at least one of them will be happy to share some good spots.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    David,
    Eagle Creek reservoir has lots of eaters. If you have a small boat you can drift the top lake and catch a bunch or you can catch them from the 56th street causeway.
    Welcome to the BOC...W

4. ironape2

ironape2 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Thanks for the quick replys. Unfortunatly I am shore bound. When you say 56th street causway are you reffering to the creek access at 56th & Kessler/Fall Creek Parkway? The two ponds perhaps?

I normally fish for croppies but I landed a 26in channel cat last weekend on a size 4 snell hook w/minnow and 6# line. Ever since then I been wanting to get more. :p I even went out and bought a couple of zebco hawg seekers. Dont know if these are any good but for $32 a piece and a tackle pack it didnt seem bad.

Any suggestions on what kind of bait to use? Ive got a container of nightcrawlers in the fridge, 100's of frozen minnows, couple containers of chicken liver cured with salt and garlic, and some prepackage baby shad.

If you ever need a endless supply of bluegills you should head up to the campgrounds north of knightstown off of I70 east. I think its called yellowstone campground with yogi bear. Anyhow for 5 bucks you can get access to thier pond and it is filled with small bluegills in schools of 100 or more up on the shoreline.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and information

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the board man.. If you want eater channels just go up to Eagle creek res. back in the bird sanctuary with a 7/0 circle.. You will tear the channels up

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome David...sounds like you're from my area. The creek you're thinking of there is Fall Creek, Winston is referring to Eagle Creek Reservoir on the northwest side. I know that section of Fall Creek pretty well, I also fish those ponds in the O'malia's parking lot when I need a place to kill and hour or whatever. There are some nice channel cats in Fall Creek, I've got some 10-12lbers from there...although I don't know about eating them out of there. Occasionally I'll hook into some eater sized channels in those ponds, but mostly I catch panfish and carp from there. If you want to target some eaters you can fish a variety of retention ponds at office complexes in the area, just go on the weekends and nobody will bother you usually. Use 1/0 or 2/0 eagle claw hooks with some chicken livers, shrimp, or nightcrawlers on the bottom. You should be able to get a good mess of eaters doing this. I think Fall Creek in the 56th street area should be safe to keep fish from, I just haven't ever tried them from there. Good luck and I know you'll be able to find all the answers you need for catfishing on here.

7. ironape2

ironape2 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Thanks again for all the helpful responces. I know there are two sides to the bird sanctuary. Can you catch them from the side paralleling 71st street? I think its the north side. If so if you go in the early am is it better to be on the east side or the west side?

Is the fishing better if you hike in along the south between the north resovour and the bird sanctuary?

Sorry for all the questions. Just like to cover all my bases.

Thanks again

8. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Fish the channel side. The other body of water there is a gravel pit, and while it has it's share of fish, cats are more easily found on the other side. That gravel pit has some massive gills in it.

9. ironape2

ironape2 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Im not usre what you mean by the channel side? In the bird sanctuary?

10. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I presume he means this:

[​IMG]

Edit: Okay, so IMG tags don't work?

Attached Files:

11. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Yes thats what he ment.. Just go to meijer and get you a bag of shell on shrimp. Unshell it as you use it and put it on a circle hook and tight line it.. You will slay'em

12. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    IM WONDERING IF THE JUNCTION WHERE FALL CREEK SPILLS INTO THE WHITE RIVER UP AT 10TH BY THE VA HOSPITAL IS ANY GOOD WHERE THE 2 WATERS MEET:confused2:

13. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    I would assume so.. creeks hold baitfish and attrack big fish.. we need to go skippy hunting..

14. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  15. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  16. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    We've caught our fair share of fish out of that section. Seems fairly shallow right there though unless your half way across the river, or close to the bridge. I tend to stay away from there at night though, there's all sorts of characters that hang around that bridge and down fall creek. Heh.

17. ironape2

ironape2 New Member

State:
    indiana
    So I went out to the bird sanctuary and fished on the channel side using shrimp and got skunked. 2 days 8 hours each day and not a single bite :(

Guess I just dont have the touch.

Thanks for all the info.