B-B-B-BALDWIN LAKE ?-?-?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfisherman369, Nov 4, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Whats the word on Baldwin lake ? Anyone been fishing it ? The blues should be biting . Where you at Brian I know you been hitting it . Catching any good ones ?

2. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Haven't been out there lately but we're going to try to put a hurtin' saturday.The hours changed to 8am-4pm on Nov. 1st, so we're gonna try to grt some bait before we get there.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Haven't been fishing. Working full time and going to college full time puts a damper on my fishing. I just washed the boat nad put it away. I am done for the season my boys. :angry:

4. josh long

josh long New Member

State:
    Evansville, Illinois
    I always fish the rivers. never tried catfishing baldwin lake before. I'm from here in evansville, about 12 miles from baldwin lake. I'm thinking about trying it out. any tips would be great

5. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    dan and i are going there today after we eat,this is my favorite time for baldwin so we will see what happends i will report anything over 100 pounds,lol na just going to catch some fish i hope.

6. josh long

josh long New Member

State:
    Evansville, Illinois
    how did it go for you over ther, I'm thinking about making a trip over there maybe this weekend

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Hope you catch a nice one out there good luck.

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    id love to see a good dan and charlie report

9. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Charlie and I went fishing Friday and Saturday on Baldwin. On friday my stepson Aaron showed us one more time how to catch those Baldwin blues. He pulled 1 that weighed in at 18# and another at 10#. I was in the middle so I got to handle the net for my action, Charlie had a few good runners but no fish. The hours are 8am to 4pm so by the time we caught bait and started fishing it was 10am. The action after 2pm just quit for us so we left early. Charlie and I hit the lake again on Saturday. We watched the gate open at 8am and had our bait caught by 9:30am. We anchored in the current off the hot water bridge. We had a few small ones sucking on our cut bait but not the ones we wanted. Charlie caught one that had a mouth about half the size of his bait. We moved over by the bank to try to catch more bait and fish with one rod a piece. We were struggling on finding quality bait(bluegill). I was fishing open bail using a 6/0 ewg worm hook on the pole I had out for blues. I had a good runner ripping out line about 11am. I set the hook and wrestled a 20# blue in to the boat and Charlie scooped it up with the net. The fish was hooked in the roof of the mouth. My hook did not penetrate the bone and had bent under the stress of the fight. If this fish had been of any size my hook would not had held up. If you are serious about catching big blues, make sure to sharpen your hooks. I tied on a new hook and we move up by the hot water bridge to catch more bait. We fished a few spots on the north side of the current for more blues but only managed to find small fish. We move out to deeper water and wind break of the lake's dividing peer for better anchoring. I then had another good runner that I was able to set the hook on. Charlie got to net another blue weighing in at 15#. We pulled anchor and started drifting towards the ramp. We had no more action and pulled the poles in at 3:20pm and headed in. As always, we had a great time on Baldwin. Nothing big this time out but when you see that runner you never know if the fish is 10# or 80#s, the lake is exciting anytime you cast out your bait.:big_smile:

10. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    well dan covered it so here is a couple pics,no big ones this trip but still fun.

Attached Files:

11. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    for some blue catfish ? and is it possible to buy it? I have a cast net I just can't throw right now I am having some bad back issues any help is appreciated thanks :)

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    try usin some light tackle and catching bluegill for bait.

13. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Bluegill are going to be a nightmare to catch at Baldwin real soon. They will be moving deeper and harder to locate.

14. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yes brian you are right gills are hard to catch right now,hot water bridge is your best bet you have to throw under the bridge and slowly let it drift out.man u gotta try your best to stay in warm water,yea they will hit in cold but if i were a fish i would need that 60 deg water at least.if you dont have a boat the focus on rock bass,witch means run your worm or wax worm solwly through the rocks sometimes letting it fall in the rocks,anyway gl on baldwin

15. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Good report Dan, Glad you did catch a few. you and Charlie had a little trip getting there.

16. Dan the Fisherman

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Charlie and I stayed at Aaron's place and used his boat. It wasn't to bad. The hours at Baldwin this time of the year allows for plenty of eating and sleep time. As everyone knows, hardly enough time on the water for Charlie or myself. We did enjoy the fishing trip. Baldwin will always be my favorite fishing hole. I wish I lived closer to the lake so I could really take advantage of prime fishing conditions rather than just trying to make things happen in the time that I can get away for a few days. The members that live in that area really have a good fishery and should be enjoying the Baldwin blues. The flatheads are there also. Two species of big cats in the same hole, how much more can a catman ask for?:big_smile:

17. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    another good bait this time of year is channel cat filets

18. josh long

josh long New Member

State:
    Evansville, Illinois
    how cold is to cold at baldwin? do they bite pretty good there year round?

19. Dan the Fisherman

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    I have never seen it get cold enough to stop the bite at Baldwin. I have a few rules that I do break now and then. The rules are: If the high air temperature is forecasted to be 25 degrees for the day, I try to refrain from fishing. Reason is my equipment ices up and does not perform correctly. The fishing is good though. If it is raining (more than showers) and below 35 degrees, I refrain from fishing because I have trouble staying dry enough to stay warm. I break this rule sometimes. The fishing is still good. The last rule is wind of 20 miles an hour or higher on Baldwin can be very dangerous especially in cold weather. I don't break this one.

20. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Wind is the devil on Baldwin. I don't go fishing when the wind is high. It is one scary lake even though it is small when the wind is moving at mach 3. LOL