AZtoVA

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by ccjfamily, Aug 2, 2009.

1. ccjfamily

ccjfamily Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey fellow BOC members. I moved from AZ to VA for work purposes and was lucky enough the land in a place where cats are the primary fish in the river system. I fish the Dan River out here. I fished the Verde and the Salt down in AZ as well as Horshoe Lake and Roosevelt lake in search for flatties. Some things I have learned and hold true to both AZ and VA rivers is that the flats like to hang out in deep poles just outside of fast moving current. When I say just outside, I mean about just as soon as the ripples turn calm. The more snags the better so bring some tuff gear. I usually cary 7-8 ft rods, baitcast or baitrunner spinning reels, and usually 30lb line in any form (braided, mono, flour) I prefer mono, will do. I usually cast out to the current and let it take the bait (bream in the south, bluegill and sunfish in the west) into a hole, then reel just as I feel the bait butt up against a log or other debri. Flatheads love live bait. THE LIVELIER THE BETTER!!!!. Oh and I dont know about you, but bait caught in the river ALWAYS worked better then bait brought to the river. If you are in search for some good size flats, be prepared. We usually use 3-6 ounce egg sinkers depending on current. Nothing beats (to me) owner gorrilla live bait hooks in 5/0 to 9/0. Did I mention to keep the bait alive????? Well its late, I have to get my son in bed for his first day of 1st grade tomorrow........Here are some pics of the fam and me.

2. ccjfamily

ccjfamily Member

State:
    Arizona
    I couldnt get the pics to download since they already are asigned so if you go to Virginia River Talk you can view them in Dan River Good Times.

Good Luck AZ.

3. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    good luck to you and your family! keep us posted on your catches out there.

4. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    Good luck. That's a big change in scenery compared to here. Let us know how fishing goes. :006:

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    welcome aboard Jacob. hit that james river while your there.

6. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    good luck and hook up big

7. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome Jacob to the BOC, Hope the best for you and your family, we will be looking for your comments as we fish the waters you are familiar with. Let us know how your fishing goes there.

8. ccjfamily

ccjfamily Member

State:
    Arizona
  9. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    hows the fishing so far?