AZ to MO -- Put some fish in the boat!!!!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by GETHOOKED, Jul 11, 2008.

1. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Well I am sorry for not posting earlier. I have returned from my trip to Mo, and the fishing trip with my father. I have been really tied up with scouting for my archery bull elk here in az, it is a once in every 5-7 year tag, so all time has been eatin up by scoutin and hanging stands and pushing brush.

Well, I must say that without much specific advice I took my father out on truman around warsaw area, and just used what I know about catfish. I got a map, studied it very hard, and found some AWSOME BAIT, (thanks to the lakeside store) They had POUNDS of frozen skipjack, and I have always heard that is what your blues eat. So I bought him out of skippies, and headed out to a spot the berry bend area. We launched there and headed west. We found the most productive areas to be main lake points and secondary points for the blues, any where from 15-40 foot of water off the points, and the flatheads were where they are everywhere, shallow and in the back of long cuts, off the main channel. We ended up fishing two different days, and caught over 15 fish a day, with some whoppers. Two flats over 20, and three blues over 20. I thought that for not knowing anything about the lake, the species, and during the spawn-(all fish had bellies full of eggs) that we did pretty damn good. My dad ended up keeping some of my catfish gear in hopes of doing as good by himself. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! I took this bass man and made him respect the almighty catfish!!! The flatheads where caught on big bluegill and redeared sunfish, 4-8 foot of water on secondary points and back cove flats. Blues where main lake point/flats, and secondary points where in would drop off pretty dramatically. I really enjoyed fishing in your state and would love to do it again in the future. Those blues sure are pretty. Truman is awsome, and boy does it have some catfish!! Best of luck to you all in MO, and if you ever head to AZ, hit me up I will put you on the fish!!!!

Attached Files:

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    That's great to hear! I bet your dad will be ready to go again pretty soon. Congrats on the fishing trip!

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Mathew I am glad that you and your dad had a great time. Those are memorys that will last a life time. But what is that short green fish on the left in the left hand picture. Is it one of those AZ catfish:smile2:. I hope that your dad puts that catfish equipment to good use. Thanks for sharing the story and photos.

Tom

4. boost3782

boost3782 New Member

State:
    USA
    Thanks for posting your trip. I'm glad to see an out of stater getting on that wonderful lake and having a good time. Good luck on your hunting trip!

Kyle

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    For the AZ catfish I ment the left fish in the right hand picture:smile2:.

Tom