Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

AZ to MO, need help if possible--PLEASE.

3K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  farmer 
#1 ·
Hello fellow BOC catman. I live in AZ and fish here for hugh flats, and I have to be in springfield, mo for one week for a wedding. I want to take my dad's bass boat, and hopefully him to try to take on some of your HUGe blue cats. I have never fished for blue's, and my dad has never catfished. He is one of those die hard bass men! :0a28: well, while I am in town I would like to turn him on to the sport of catfishing, but am VERY ignorant on the blue cat species, and how and where to fish for them in the state of missouri, and specifically truman lake. I have heard and read that warsaw is a good starting point, but it seems that truman is a very big, and hard to navigate lake. If I could pry some much needed info off any of you MO catman I would greatly appreciate it. It is a one week trip, but probably only get out once or twice depending on what the warden says at the hotel!!!!:wink: Thank you inadvance, and if anyone ever comes to my neck of the woods, I sure could gets you on some monster flatheads in return!!!:eek:oooh:

#3 ·
don't listen to Kutter, He has no idea what He's talkin about......LOL:wink:

Truman is a fine fishery for blue cats. If I were you I would contact Steve Brown from Catfish Safari and see if He has an open date, That you and Your Dad could fill. Yes its gonna cost more then taking the bass boat out and "doing it Yourself" but Steve is easily the most knowledgeable Catman on Truman Lake and His trips are worth every penny. Ive been out with Steve on several occasions nad every trip has been a memorable one. If anyone can help you convert your Bait....ummm errr Bass fishin father to a catman Steve's the man for the job

You can find contact info For Steve Here
http://catfishsafari.com/Home_Page.php

#4 ·
Dang, how on earth did a westie think about Steve before an eastie did?

He is absolutely right! I have never heard a single negative comment on him and dozens of very highly regarded comments. I don't know the man personally, but I do several folks who have tried him out and they all praise him and say he's worth every cent.

#5 ·
I would REALLY like to be the one that teaches my dad. Kind of like a reverse life lesson. He has taught me so much, and I would like to show up and "ACT" like I know what I am doing. I think this may even impress him--ya know? Nothing against your guides there, I am sure they have one wonderful buisness and service. I just want to play it forward to my father, while I can. I don't get back to MO very often at all, so our time together fishing is very limited. SO every second together learning or sharing is a life memory.

#8 ·
Mathew I cant help much with truman but I hope your trip to Mo will be a good one and that you and your dad catch some good blues. We look forward to a fishing report when you get done on the lake.

Tom

#9 ·
i cant help you a whole lot but since i've only fished truman a couple times for cats but bring a throw net and catch some shad.that would probably be your best choice for bait. look at a few of the past post about truman and you will find some really good info from some far more knowledgable people than me:smile2:. good luck and hope you and your dad get into some good ones! keep us posted on how it went

#11 ·
I have to agree with everyone else here, might be worth investing the money with Steve Brown since the cats will be right in the middle of their nesting when you get here. Some will be nesting, some won't. Just my opinion but I think fishing for blues has slowed down alot since spring unfortunately which may make it tough to find active fish. If you decide to make the trip on your own, put in at Drake Harbor below Truman Dam in Warsaw and then go find fresh shad. Hopefully you have a good depth finder and can locate the deeper holes and current breaks that usually hold fish. You'll need everything from 2-6 ounce weights depending on how much current there is and where you decide to fish. I use 30 pound big game, 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks, and 7 foot medium heavy rods with Okuma baitcasters. Best of luck! Chris

#12 ·
Chris, when you talk about deeper water that holds fish how deep are you talking? At what point does the thermocline and lack of oxygen come into play? What water is too deep to hold fish? I guess a little more specific information would make it easier (at least for me) to understand. If I find 30 feet of water and think that's deep water when you mean I should be looking for 60 feet of water it makes it easier to pin point that deeper water your talking about. Not knocking your post it's one of the more helpful but I know I'm one of the more dense people on this site and I like things spelled out. I just don't think a person can put too much specific information into a post but posters can sure put enough generalizations in a post and that just confuses people like me. dahhh...... I'm on the 5mm of LOZ and being from Iowa where 15 feet is deep water when I find 60 feet of water I go into mental overload and just can't cypher how to fish that deep of water. I sit in my boat looking at my fish finder with a stupid look on my face and drool running down my chin with a repeated saying going through my brain again and again... deep water does not compute, deep water does not compute, deep water does not compute. Sure wish one of you better deep water fisherman, and I put you in that group, would put on a little seminar on how to really fish a deep water reservoir like LOZ here in post form.

#14 ·
Well "GETHOOKED", as the other brother I would like to wish you good luck as well on your trip. I'm brand new to the club and had a question for you since you mentioned your from AZ. Im in the military and have orders to Yuma this August. I figured since thats your stomping grounds maybe I could get a leg up on the fishing wheres and hows before I get there.:cool2: respectfully asking

#15 ·
There 'ya go, I guess you now know what you get for your money if you hire this guy for a guide, someone who will belittle you to show others he knows something you don't. Sorry, I took up Steve's valuable post space it won't happen again. I thought I was on a site that encouraged people to ask questions when they don't know but I see that it's more for a self-proclaimed know it all to strut his stuff. Guess I'm not easily impressed with talk and I'm sure not impressed by someone catching fish that fishes all day most every day. Even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while. I'm more impressed with the guy that works a full time job, fishes weekends when he can and manages to catch some big cats. Sorry Steve, your still not in that group of posters that I would consider to be knowledgeable about deep water fishing as I've never read anything that you have posted that made me think you know what your talking about. Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever read anything where you contributed information, other than to offer your guide service. Sorry.

#17 ·
Wow Bill your kinda hard on a guy who's just trying to have a little fun with a good friend. Chris and I have known each other for years. I was just kidding.
Sorry I don't post on here more and give out free info.

I do a fishing report on my guide thread. It's FREE to read it. I tell people how and where to get bait, how deep to fish, if they should fish LOZ or Truman.

I was just poking fun at a friend please don't take it wrong.

#18 ·
There 'ya go, I guess you now know what you get for your money if you hire this guy for a guide, someone who will belittle you to show others he knows something you don't. Sorry, I took up Steve's valuable post space it won't happen again. I thought I was on a site that encouraged people to ask questions when they don't know but I see that it's more for a self-proclaimed know it all to strut his stuff. Guess I'm not easily impressed with talk and I'm sure not impressed by someone catching fish that fishes all day most every day. Even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while. I'm more impressed with the guy that works a full time job, fishes weekends when he can and manages to catch some big cats. Sorry Steve, your still not in that group of posters that I would consider to be knowledgeable about deep water fishing as I've never read anything that you have posted that made me think you know what your talking about. Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever read anything where you contributed information, other than to offer your guide service. Sorry.
Easy there Bill, Steve is the LAST person I know that would Belittle someone. He is a very nice guy and will go out of his way to help a guy out.

Matt, whatever you decide to do, I hope your trip with your old man is a prosperous one! I have never fished that area, but I know here lately the Warsaw area and the dam tail waters have been on fire. That's where I would go if I were you! Good Luck Bro!

#19 ·
Bill you don't know Steve but I can tell you he was joking with a friend and you definatley took it the wrong way. Man that was just uncalled for. Steve is the kind of guy who will help you out with information at the drop of a hat. He knows more about those two lakes than any man out there. I guess he may not impress you because he fishes for a living but anyone who guides around 200 trips a year and has had 2 fishless trips in 4 (or was it 10) years.........well that impresses me that the man knows how to fish.

If I were coming in town and wanted to show my dad how to catch cats at that time of year I would definately call Steve Brown. Even if you don't want to take advantage of his guide service he has a great place to stay with a dock and he will always help you in finding bait and tips on the fishing. You won't find a better place to stay with a great breakfast and in walking distance of your boat.

#20 ·
look guys this seems to be getting out of hand. I know hiring a guide (any guide good, bad or in different) would offer a easier and quick way to get me and my father on fish. But I was raised by this man to do it yourself and make the most of what you can do with what you have. I am tring to come to a state I don't know and just put some fish in the boat. I am not tring to spend $100 - $500 dollars just to put some fillets in the freezer. If any of you were taught and have ever fished with your father later in life when you were now a father, and decided to now go and return the favor to the one man who took time out of his life to put down his poles and just let you fish and learn and not care about catching just being with your son. I am that man now who wants to take his father out and just be me and him and the lake. I was just asking for ADVICE on patterns or even a spot or two a out of towner could use for a day or so. I am not going to rape your spots or even disclose them to anyone but a bass man, who would --if I'm not there--EVER go back. I understand if you guys want to bicker back and forth, but understand my mission, --it is not just to catch fish, but to pass forward out sport of fishing from father to son, back to son to father.---UNDERSTAND?:confused2:

#21 ·
Sorry to see the fireworks on here! Would have posted sooner but I was at the NHRA race in Topeka having a good time. As far as fishing deep water, I mainly fish deep water where there is alot of current, such as in the Warsaw area and not too far downstream of the 65 Highway bridge. I have a cheapie depth finder and sometimes I can tell where the thermocline is, sometimes I can't. Usually I can tell when its late summer and the water temp is up there. Kind of like fishing on the MO river, never had any problems with a thermocline there either. This is just what I have had good results with, I'm not a guide or even close to an expert, just fish alot and love getting out there so have picked up a few things with time on the water. I usually catch fish in deep water when the sun is high, hot outside, and the water is moving. Usually in July or August, WHEN THERE IS CURRENT. As for up on the lake I still don't do real well up there. I'm also only talking about blue cats, not flatties. I don't even try for flatties until after dark and then I look for brushy or wood cover, close to a dropoff or channel edge is better if available, then fish large live baits as close to the cover as possible. PB flattie is 62 pounds which was a few years ago caught in 3 feet of water at about 11pm. I'll try and find pics to post, have them on my computer somewhere. Steve, I owe you one, funny stuff there, and I do tan well in the summer by the way. Calm down everyone, Steve was just giving me a hard time and no harm in doing that. Still a very stand up guy in my opinion and has bent over backwards to help me out when he didn't have to. Chris

#22 ·
Mathew I understand what you are talking about just want it to be only you and your dad. I lost my dad 3 years ago to cancer and absulutly treasure the times on the missouri river and all the other rivers that we fished together when we got the chance. Just enjoy your time with your dad and weather or not you catch fish it will be a time you will never forget. And for the guys ribing each other keep it up. We all enjoy having good times.

Tom

#23 ·
I've read all the posts and can see that I'm in the wrong here.

I guess two things came into play, one being my temper which is usually keep under control but I seem to be able to lose in a heart beat and I felt Steve was making jest of not so much me but a person I had asked for help. I can take a joke with the best of them when it is directed at me and I know I'm being poked at in fun. But, this came off like Steve was going after Chris (which he was but in jest) but I didn't know that and it just hit me wrong.

I apologize Steve, my bad and if I ever catch up with you I'll buy the beer.

Other members, I apologize to you guys also and thanks for politely putting me back on track.

#24 ·
Hey Matthew

Here's some specific advice for you. Just be aware that it's likely you'll be here in the middle of the spawn, so all bets are off - you might really lay into them or you might strike out completely; it's been a strange spring so far and none of us are really sure what the fish are doing. Also, I'm a daytime fisherman so what works for me doesn't necessarily work for the after-dark crowd.

* Catch fresh shad. If you don't have a way to keep them alive, put them in a ziplock bag immediately after catch and keep them on ice. As long as they're fresh-caught, they'll work fine for the day's fishing. You can usually find shad at the mouth of Drake Harbor if they're running water, earlier in the day is better before folks start running in and out and scatter them. If that doesn't work, check for them upriver where the new channel runs into the old channel - on the west side just below the new channel there's an eddy current that occasionally holds bait. If you don't know how to throw a net, that's a problem. In that case, your next best bait would be some small bluegill caught with pole and line. You're on your own as far as where to find them...

* You can fish just about anywhere from the dam down to the Hwy 65 bridge and have a good chance of catching fish. The bottom is mostly 25 to 35 ft with scattered brush piles all up and down. Directly across from Drake Harbor is a long, wide, shallow mud flat. Might produce fish at night, I've never tried it. Just downstream from Drake Harbor is a hard left bend with some deep water and fast current. Chris fishes there a lot and does OK but I've never had any luck.

* Use your sonar to mark fish and brush piles or any structure you can find (dips, humps, whatever). Ideally you'd like to see fish holding around or just upstream from the structure - those are likely to be your active feeders. Try to get a good landmark (or put a GPS waypoint) and anchor upstream so you can put your baits right on the spot. You'll need 100+ ft of anchor line and a 20 to 30 lb anchor if the water is moving.

* 8 oz sinker should be plenty; if there's not much water moving, 4 to 6 oz will work. I use 30 lb mono and 8/0 circle hooks (gamakatsu or team catfish).

* If you don't get any bites after 30 minutes or so, you need to move. This isn't an area where you catch 2 fish in a day and consider that a success; an OK day is 10 to 15 fish; a good day is 20 to 25 and a great day is 30 or more.

* Even if you don't book a trip with Steve Brown, I'm sure he'd be happy to chat with you on the phone and give you some pointers. And you really ought to stop by his tackle shop while you're in town - there's almost certainly something there you'll need!

Good luck - post some photos when you get home!

#25 ·
Mr.T--I have to commend you on a excellent post. THis is the first post with honest info and nothing more intendeded. I would honestly pay you to guide me if that is what we wanted to do. In AZ this is the info we share and tell each other, it seems MO fisherman are more talkers than sharers. I understand that to a point, but to an outsider it is a real turn off. I REALLY appreciate your honesty and info, you have really put yourself HIHG in my book of trusted fisherman/guides. God bless you and hopefully we can just put some fish in the boat. But THANK YOU for your honest opinion and suggestions for fish, I will take them on full throttle and hope the fish cooperate.:big_smile:

#26 ·
Mathew I feel that you are wrong about Mo fishermen are more talkers than sharers. They have given me more info that has helped me. They were just trying to help your and your dad have a great day fishing. It dosent settle well with me saying that the BOC in this state dont want to share their experance. I am sorry if this post affends anyone but I feel that all the brothers in Mo are here to help on this site as in any other state.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.