AZ Republic

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AZflats, Oct 5, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey~~~ I'm famous!
    In the Outdoors section of today's paper, my flatty catch gets notoriety.

* My wife sent them the information.. Too bad they did not include a photo.. Some guy caught a new AZ state record Rainbow trout (15 lbs).. He got the top and a picture..
    ~ Oh well.... Just waiting for the sponsors to come rolling in... :big_smile: :roll_eyes:

chirp, chirp, chirp... (Is there a cricket in here?):confused2:

2. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Andy.....Congrats on getting the publicity. A 15 lb trout is one heck of a fish, but is doesn't compare to a 66 lb flathead.(in my opinion only!!!) A lot of folks still kinda 'look down there noses" at catfishing. I used to tell people I was going catfishing and they would ask me "why". But I was glad they didn't know "why". Now, in the past couple of years, it has gotten much more popular as people have discovered how much fun it is. Keep looking for that next big one. Luck. ...Rick

3. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    That's cool about the paper:cool2: I tried to find that page on the web but could'nt find it, and I don't get the paper. So I'll have to snag one somewhere. When are you going to try one those catfish derby's? :0a19: :0a19: :waaaht:

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks Rick~
    No doubt~ And a power bait fisherman to boot...
    ~ That is kinda like when crappie fishermen snag flatheads and sets a record, happens by mistake sometimes, who knew trout got that big here is AZ, (Obviously he did not.. He was fishing with 4lb test)..

* Us cat men are on a constant pursuit for the next record. Or at least I am, that is why I fish with such big lines and terminal tackle.

~ I have been cat fishing here in AZ for as long as I can remember, flathead fishing for about 4 years.. (Dedicated 4 years)... What other kind of fish in AZ can you fish for where there is the possibility you might hook the biggest thing swimming in AZ???

** When I was at the Marina two weeks ago, (after my catch) one bass fisherman asked me.. "Why the heck would you want to catch that?"
    ~ I'm sure he thinks that the catfish is not nearly as pretty as a bass, but I don't see any 66 lb large mouths out there..
    * Ignorant are most people.. I guess if cat fishing was easy... Even the bass fishermen would be doing it..

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Derby's??? What are these derbys you speak of?

6. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Boy did you catch one heck of a fish. Great job man, I'm glad you hooked into him, its the hardcore guys like you that really deserve it.

I was just reading this week's fishing report and you were mentioned again by a bass fishermen under "Roosevelt Lake". Its just gotta be some sweet icing on your cake to see some publicity. Congratulations.

7. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    Andy, I was told about one at bartlett from a guy at the Mesa Sportsman's. If your interested I'll see if I can get more particulars next time I'm in there.

( which seems to be a lot! )

Hope this weather straightens out by tonight??:cross: :cross: :0a23:

GOOD LUCK AND STAY DRY, EXCEPT IF YOU HAVE TO JUMP IN TO LAND A MONSTER :still_dreaming: :still_dreaming: :still_dreaming:

8. Husker

Husker New Member

State:
    Scottsdale, Az.
    Andy, nice catch and great props by your wife and the Az. Rep. News paper. Would have loved to have seen that fish up close, but for now I'll just keep fishing for one that big or bigger. Kevin

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    IKE,
    Hey buddie, if you hear of any tourney's or derbys let me know...
    Thanks!!!!:smile2:

10. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    yup ,your famous , lot of people on other fishing sites are talking about it , congrats man

11. USMC4u

USMC4u New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Dang thats a nice monster. I have been tring for one like that for 20 years still no luck. Did you use live bait?

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Shane~
    WELCOME TO THE BOC!
    ~ Hope you learn what you need to catch the next monster catfish..

* REgarding my cat, she fell for a chunck of carp head. :big_smile:

You generaly want to fish for them with live bait, but if you can't get live, cut baits work as well.

13. tricksec

tricksec New Member

Andy, at least you have a newpaper in Phx that has outdoor writers. Tucson doesn't know what it about unless you ride a bike. I wish I could find that paper. I still peek at your picture every chance I get! It's great!:big_smile:

14. Patton

Patton New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    ya speaking of that trout record ive been fishing up there like 20 times and ive caught 2 trout.

15. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    That was a big 'ol trout...
    ~ I have never caught a trout over a few pounds...

The best is to bring a little back pack stove, some tin foil, and a little shak-in-bake. A few slices of lemon inside the carcus make the best shore lunch ever when you are catching the little ones.

16. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    That trout was quite a story. Caught on powerbait fished on the bottom? I'm betting that that guy was freaking out with the pull that thing must of done on his pole. I've never had much luck at any of the lakes on the rim.