AZ Flats (or anyone):

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by akleader, Sep 10, 2007.

1. akleader

akleader New Member

State:
    Arizona
    2 questions:

1) AZ Flats - I fish on Roosevelt for Flatties a lot and do well (not so much as of late). I fish from a boat & can not get much further than Schoolhouse now. I did not try to navigate the brush (treetops), but I do not believe I could have made it to the river (which is where I usually fish). You indicated that you like to fish main lake? Are you referring to the mouth of coves on the salt end?

2) Has anyone been having any success on Rosy as of late? I am sitting on the big goose-egg. Next time I am going to bring the lights for crappie just in case. Will the flatties start their fall bite soon?

I will be going out the weekend of the 22nd if anyone else will be there? I am more than willing to share some "boat" river spots in exchange for info., although it will not do much good now. I am also more than willing to take someone fishing, since I am out alone. Just can not get my wife into the fishing thing.

I have an 07 Ranger 620 VS w/ a 250 Verado if anyone ever sees me & wants to say hi....

2. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    Steven I've never fished Roosevelt. Yet from looking at a map it's that area East of Schoolhouse point I want to fish this fall. Where do you launch from to fish that area? Is the reason you're not fishin East of that point the water depth? Any help would be appreciated.

3. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Wow.....that is a nice boat.

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hi Steven,
    You can definitely get lost trying to get up river. The brush can be very deceiving, and you can easily get stuck. I marked a good path on my GPS and usually follow that when I go up river... I have an old pontoon and I am not afraid to plow through some tree tops if I have to.. I have not been up river lately (a few months) But the water probably has not changed much... Just consult a map and try to stay in the middle..
    ** I hope this helps~ A lot of folks go pretty far up river from the main lake....

Nice boat~ Hope you get some slime on it that weekend you go... I am going to try to go to Bartlet.
    ~A

5. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Was up there 9/10. Tried to find the river but it was like bayou up there (or at least what I imagine one to look like). Very shallow, lots of trees, and what looked like a brush barrier all the way across, before you even get to Schoolhouse. Figured I'd lose anything I cast in that bottom. I anchored just outside of it, on the south side in a bay west of Grapevine. Worst bottom I've been in for a long time anyway! Any place I cast, my rig got stuck in submerged brush. Tried 3 different spots. Not a bite all night. Do the cats like that kind of terrain? Is there a way to fish thick submerged brush and minimize your chances of getting stuck?

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Zonabro~
    That area you were fishing is good fishing for crappie, and you have got to believe there are some flats moving through there, but I have never tried...

* Maybe a chainsaw??
    * I have gotten my boat up river from the lake... Don't remember having too much trouble...

Has the water level dropped??
    A~

7. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I was just there Sun- if you stay far north as possible, you can run the shore and then cut back towards main channel. It still is only around 5-10 feet, at any given point and is really muddy. If you know where the river channel is from when the water was a little higher, you can push your way through the tree tops to the channel, but it may mean getting that BEAUTIFUL boat of yours a little durty and banged up--but you did say you were a catfisherman right?:wink:

8. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I found a recent sattelite image of Rooevelt that is intersting. Check out this link. It shows 2 channels on the north & south shores, with the southern route allowing the greatest access to the Salt. Does this jive with what you guys have found on the water?

9. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    PS- Zonaman's boat is a modified, 14', '86 Bayliner similar to this one. Fits in the garage.

Attached Files:

10. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    That pretty much is it, THere is NO access on the north. Dont let that little trickle fool ya. What the image doesnt show is all the trees, you will have to make a north ward half u-turn to get back to the channel and then it is smooth sailing. You will have to push some brush to get there, but like you most people havnt or wont, so when I go there it is all to my self!!:wink: