AZ Catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by micah, Jul 23, 2007.

1. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    What's going on with the Catfishing in Arizona. I remember there was a day when I could read new posts everyday. Is anyone fishing anymore or have we all got our skirts on for the summer. I can't be the only one getting skunked out there. This is prime Flatty season. Let's here about it, GOOD OR BAD...

Micah

2. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Went to Bartlett late friday night. Got in a few hours of flatheadin before sun up and got skunked. We caught alot of fish in the day. A few bass, channels, carp, bluegills and even a few small flatheads. Saturday after the storm came through i was sure something big would hit. We had out a good assortment of live bait and cut bait. Got skunked. My buddy got a hit n spit on shad, but that was the only action. Of course i still don't have my boat yet so we were shore fishing. Kinda of makes it a hit or miss when you can't keep on the move or at least park the boat in a high percentage area. Kind of a rough way to fish sleeping on the ground with the spiders and scorpions, but still better than a day at work. :big_smile:

3. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    sorry Micah, I have had my skirt on--but it is soooo cute! I have been gettting ready for my archery elk hunt in Aug that by the way will be on NW Hunter TV show!! So all of my free time has been hiking and practicing with my mathews drenalin!! I am though, taking a week of starting mon, and heading up to lake powell for some fun, sun, and stripers. I will let ya know if the cats will cooperate off the houseboat. We usually catch quite a few pan friers. But I will no doubt be back on them come sept!!!

4. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I dont have any skirts, but I do have this cute lil sun dress w/sunflowers on it, lol. I can only fish on private property ponds cuz all th lakes r closed indefinately due to th flooding, so I am taking th time to get my boats ready. I gotta put in a new floor in my bass boat and get my jon boat cat friendly, other than that jus check out gen conversation for my new thread.

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    There have not been any posts lately because I have not been out fishing.:smile2:

* I did however fish a small pond near my house yesterday and caught a 4 lb channel cat that should have weighted 10. It was skinny, sickly and had only one whisker. It also had a deteriorated face from being hooked soo many times. Needless to say, I did not pose for a photo with it.

~ I have been busy with my new baby boy, so opportunities to hit the water are few and far between..

* I am hoping to go to Bartlet this weekend with my daughter if the weather holds up and everyone is healthy.

* I definitely have not been able to scratch that cat fishing itch, but hopefully soon...

* Good luck on Wednesday Micah~ KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE!

6. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    Keith
    What did you mean by all the local lakes are closed due to the flooding. I hope your not referring to Bartlett because I was planning on heading out there tomorrow...

Matthew, About that hunt...Where can a guy watch that at. Any idea when it'll be on tv. What area are you hunting??

Micah

7. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona

He is in Texas. :big_smile:

8. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I thought I saw Tempe. Thanks for the help.......

9. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Yeah, Temple, Tx. I do Have family in th Az valley. 1 cousin in Tempe, 1 in Scottsdale, Aunt in Mesa. Been out there a few times, climates better than Tx, not near as humid, an I went during th monsoon season.

10. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Thanks for checking up on us Micah, I haven't been doing a whole lot of catfishing either. I have a trip planned for the upper salt Aug. 4th Saturday until Sunday, bad weather or not.

Last three weekends I have been up north on the rim lakes trout fishing from my canoe. This time of year it is excellent weather (minus the monsoon storms) and twice as excellent fishing. I discovered a love for trolling with a canoe, and am planning on trolling bartlett for flatheads with it following some success I had in casting a big crankbait around on the upper salt. If you see a guy in a 14ft aluminum canoe with a bowed boat rod being towed all over the lake, give me a holler.

11. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Micah, about the hunt it is on the Outdoor Network, and as far as I know you have to have satillite of some kind. I have direct tv and it is on Channel 604. I hunt august 24-30 ARCHERY, so I am sure I will air what like a year later or so? just kiding. I will have the unedited copy to take home with me after the hunt. I will outside Regina, Saskatuwan (sp?), about 3 hours NE of Montana border. They have had great luck with a lot of bulls over 400 class. Of course for the TV they told me they want to hold off for a monster,and I am all for that. I just hope the ol ticker handles a huge elk that close. I am amped and pracitce daily. Shoot straight and dont flinch!! :wink:

12. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i dont know what is going on with tha cattin down here. i finally caught a kitty last weekend, a 9 lbs channel. havent been able to catch anything before that since april. i dont know whats going on. all of my hotspots are dead. i have been scoping around but cant get any to bite. so you are not the only one getting skunked.

13. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    With the storm run-off at the diversion dam and water clarity gone, do you guys think a guy going downstream from eads wash about 1/4 mile down may have a chance of hooking up a flathead. I have a small boat, trolling motor only so I am kind of restricted. I went to schoolhouse this morning early but wind kept me to the nearest cove, no hits today. thanks

14. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    My last trip to bartlett was with the family and they reminded me quite often it's not all about you dad on this trip. So needless to say I got shut out on the flatties and got run off the lake both evenings from storms. Did manage to catch bluegills, carp and channel cats allmost anywhere on the lake. I must say part was my fault I like my beer and I was'nt going out myself and taking a chance on getting caught driving like that. I could tell my wife did not want to take me out at night so I stayed at the marina to fish '' bummer''

15. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    Good luck on that hunt and hopefully I'll get to see it on satelite someday. I l;ive in Alaska for about 5 years and did quite a bit of hunting. Someday I'll post some of the pictures for yall to see. I went out to Bartlett about 3 weeks ago and caught about 4 flatheads in 3 consecutive nights. The biggest being only 15 lbs. We got rained on 2 out of 3 nights but it sure was beautiful. I met two old timers that have been fishing out there since before I was born. The old man Larry caught a 61 lber the night before I got there and several over 20lbs. He's got a photo album with a bunch just like it. He's got a new lease on life after his dual lung transplant and he's one of the most diehard cat men you'll ever meet. I have no idea how he gets them in by himself but he does. He's very private and it's taken me quite some time to get through his shell. I think it might be all the blugill I catch for him.
    Micah

16. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Micah, I plan on fishing up by where sheep creek comes in at Bartlett next weekend. Is this an ok area for flats. I thought it was a very nice area and plan on camping somewhere close to the creek. Thanks

17. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    yesterday here in havasu under the london bridge i caught a 3 lb carp and 4 1/2 lb channell on a hair rig with a white bread ball...

previous 2 weeks before that i got a 5 lb carp and a five 3 lbers too!!!

havent done much cattin but the striper season is a commin :wink:

18. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Good job Leroy, do you get out often to fish? You gotta put some cut carp or a live gill out there so we can see a picture of the flattie you catch!!! :crazy:

19. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    There are some big fish near the bridge....I've caught an 8 lb. flattie on dough at night...along with a bunch of small channels and a nice sized carp. If you fish between the last post under the bridge and the walkway...on the agave inn side, there's a mammoth carp hanging around there....he's been there everytime I've been there for business over the past 3 years.