AZ Carp

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Overkil, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    dsfrye1 asked a good question pretty far down stream in another thread and I was curious too...what type of bait do you guys use for carp here in AZ? Someone at ASU research park caught an 18lb carp within the last week or two on corn. Pics at azgfd.gov. How many of you guys target carp? Or is it more of an accident when you hook into one? I know some of you use carp head for bait...Waht's the biggest carp any of you have caught? Largest I have caught so far is about 4lbs in a little neighborhood pond...

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Mark, should get alot of response on this one. My largest carp probably about 10#, caught on nightcrawler. I wish I could figure out how to catch the bluegill size ones. Sweet corn seems to work, buy the best, still water chum with some also so they will drop their guard. Good Luck!

3. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    My best was just over 14 pounds out of the lower salt river drifting a nightcrawler for trout. It totally caught me by surprise and I had to work that thing for a good 20 minutes before I could get him to the beach, he went into the weeks probably 3-4 times before I finally dragged him out. I've caught them on corn and dough mixed with kool-aid.

4. joeldavid

joeldavid New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    35# grass carp on a 6wt flyrod casting a 9ft leader with 5x tippet using a fly I tie that kind of looks like a ball of moss.

5. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Mark, my biggest carp is 8# by accident, I was fishing with nigthcrawler to catch some gills on ultralight with 4# test line. It was a fun battle took me about 15 min to get the fish in. I don't target carp unless I will be using it for bait. You can buy carp bait at some walmarts because not all carry them. My friend targets carp for the sheer battle, he makes his own bait, something like corn flakes, honey, vanilla abstracts, etc, etc. you can google it on the net to find the recipes, but he makes them like a dough bait, fished on small hooks or treble hooks to keep the bait on better in current.

6. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    hey guys...thanks for all the responses so far...very informative and greatly appreciated!

7. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    I have caught most carp on accident or fishing for other species like trout or channel at tempe town lake. the biggest one I caught was 11lbs. on night crawler. that corn does bring them in too. When I first started taking my son fishing i would take him to the canal down the street and use Garlic powder & biscuit dough mix together works pretty well.

8. dsfrye1

dsfrye1 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Overkil, thanks for getting this started I learned some good tips to help with bigger bait fish:big_smile:. Ill try it out this weekend at Roosevelt.

9. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    no problem...I've always been curious about carp, especially how big they get...seems like they would be a very popular game fish but they never seem to get much traction on any of the local fishing boards...let us know how you do as roosevelt..

10. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    We used to target carp when I was a kid. We could usually sell them and make our gas money for the trip back. We would target them in the morning or evening and use tortilla, (fold it over a few times and put the hook through it twice) Corn, Meanworms. I've caught them on nightcrawlers on accident. They fight like hell their really fun. My problem these days is I've never caught one under 10 lbs. So they are not really an option for bait. Though I did see one of the cement ditches over on CRIT land while doing some work had lots of little .5 lb to 2lb carp. That's a long drive for bait though.
    Oh my largest was close to 30 lbs

11. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    carp are good for bait, and to launch arrows into. Thats all I ever do with them.

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    just a question, but how many have read up on carp? where they came from? why they were brought here. kinda interesting to read.
    i was raised to use them for fertilizer also. but now like to catch, and then release. the fight is worth it.
    gary

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    oh, that's funny. haha. sounding stupider and more stuped. don't need to say more cause you're doing it all lately.
    just stating facts now.
    gary

14. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    There are mirror carp here in AZ, in fact here is a link to az game and fish where a guy caught a mirror carp at Tempe Town Lake....
    http://www.azgfd.net/photos/details.php?image_id=1468

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i learned something. okay, i admit it.
    gary

16. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    corn seems to do really well.... chum an area and come back an hour or so later.... ive heard people using strawberry soda/wheaties mix.

one time on roosevelt gettin on the main lake just off badger ramp when the water was real low that you launched off the island there i was fishing for small carp on crappie gear and i ran into a mess of em.... nothing under 8 lbs... and they started getting so big that i started thinking state record.... biggest was 31 lbs.... in 4 hours, and i kid you not (you know fisherman :smile2:) , caught over 400 lbs of carp.....

17. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    I can 2nd that. Tempe town is full of mirror carp. When it cools down & they stock the lake with trout the catch rate seems to jump I'm guessing cuz alot of people are using corn for trout and that's what's attracting them. As a matter of fact I was told that's were bass pro got the mirror carp that's in there aquarium.

18. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Mirror carp are the only kind I've ever caught at TTL. Used nightcrawlers on the bottom and had a field day with them out in deeper water.

19. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The old guy reminds me of Ted Kazinsky....that fish is gonna get unibomber.t

20. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Unibomberuded,jeees,how soon we forget!:confused2: