AZ/CA gathering this year???

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AZflats, Jan 15, 2008.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey Guys,
    * Anyone interested in doing this again?
    ~ Colorado river near Blythe?
    * I had a blast last year and everyone was so cordial...

River bud~ Billy Jo~ Vulture~ Martin Man~ and all the new members, I am talking to you guys...

Let me know your thoughts people..

Thanks~
    Andy

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    you refering to the one last april? i made that one. had a ball, but didn't take the boat out at night. forgot the big anchor, and with the rise and fall of the water, didn't have a gps to use at night. maybe this yr.
    gary

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Count me in gang.... wouldn't miss it for........ well you know what I mean.... Riverbudd wants to get together sooner at laughlin for "slots and cats"... maybe in March.... could do that too.....

By the way, anyone need a cell phone ringer tone that is "music to the ears?" Try this one that Mr. T. (BOC) put together....

http://www.drdepth.se/Amb7000.mp3:0a23:

Bayrunner Ray

4. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    That's the way all phones should sound, that is GREAT!!!:smile2:

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks Fellas.

Lets cast out a few ideas so something can materialize..

Last year in April.. Not too many folks hooked up with any flats.. Would May be better?

* Do we want to consider the Moon? The Week of the 4th, it will be dark and the rest of the month will have a moon...

Thanks~
    Andy~

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i consider myself still a learning flathead hunter. but from what i've learned down here in the last 1 1/2 yr or so, may might be better. might be cutting my own throat as that is usually when i make my trip to idaho to visit folks, but what the heck.
    gary

7. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    I know from fishin' out of Picacho state park there are Flatheads that begin moving into the backwater lakes in the latter part of March. All depending upon the weather. When the Bluegill have begun spawning the bigger fish stage in the deeper lake mouths. I've bowfished for Carp on some of the larger lakes at that time of year and have watched big Appaloosa cats cruising the cane and cattail edges. There's little weed growth which makes using an inflated balloon and palm sized Bluegill great bait.

8. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Hey guys,

Sorry for the late response...I have been pretty busy with the whole work thing.

I am all for it. The last gathering was the first week in May. I know that Dale (Riverbud) was trying to plan it last year so that it wouldn't interfer with Mother's day weekend or Memorial weekend.

I know that last year's flatheads were not so responsive due to colder water temps, but that same time the year before Dale and others were catching some monster flatties.

I am game to do it around the same time...if Dale and the others are game for it. I got a chance to explore some more waters, and with a new fishfinder for my little puddle-jumper I am really excited to go scouting around for fish early.

I do think that any earlier than mid-to-late April would be too early. JMO

Ryan

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a24:
    "I know that I'm ready" :go::0a23:
    :wink:

All I know is, the year that I was down there with Dale, Billy jo & the rest of the gang / I had a good time & I would like to have that good time again.:0a31:

P.S.: and there is the fact that "I Want A Flathead"!!! :ah:
    (LoL)

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

10. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Hello All, I Feel that May is to early for Flatheads, the water has not warm up enuff to get the fish on the move. I feel the hotter the weather the better the fishing,but i will go anytime. It realy dosen't matter to me if I get a fish or not or even if I put the boat in the water. You guys make the call...
    See you at the river, Billy Jo

11. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Great!
    Glad to hear from you guys~
    How does the 1st through the 4th of May sound?
    * Kinda early, but we will be there before the two drinking holidays Cinco De Mayo and Mem day, (avoid the drunks).. And the Moon will be dark also, (I like that.)
    ~ Also, we won't get too baked in that hot mid-day sun and our MOMs won't be upset cause we missed her holiday on the following weekend...

* Billy Jo, if you feel that the fish will be biting better in June or July, I'm okay with going then as well..

~A

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Andy,
    :0a24:
    "Billy Jo has a good point" - you may want to make that trip during the of middle or last part of July just for that reason (the fish being more active).
    :0a23:
    +
    The night fishing will be a lot better at that time (well a lease it's always like that up this way at that time of the year).
    :wink:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

13. Pappy B

Pappy B Guest

Hey Andy,Whats this about?Just a get together or a serious tourny?I'm just curious.It sounds like a blast.About the only time I get together with anyone for some serious catting is with my son.I've only got a little 14' boat with a small kicker and a trolling motor.Will that be enough for the river?
    Pappy B.

14. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Take it from a vetran of the Blythe area... June/July is "schools out"

rivers are crowded on the week ends....lots of boat traffic.... everyone goes up river as far as they can......

MAY, MAY, but it all starts Memorial day weekend......

:0a17: Bayrunner Ray

15. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    sounds like alot of fun i think i might like to join you guys in warmer weather....never caught a flathead before , and looking at these pictures everybody has believe me i'd love to....MONSTERS!!!!! dont know the area then again i dont care..could make for a nice trip...keep me posted:smile2:

16. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey all, man ya gots to know im in and when ever, as far as the river crowd goes there not a real problem, not much of a chance of them being in the way when its time to fish(cought my 48# 2 years ago sat. nite of memorial weekend). I really think mid june is the best, water is up, not to hot yet:wink: and nice nites , lots of bait to be had and the flats are going to be hungry.

as far as a place to fish, talked to vultue(grag) yesterday and he said AZ put in an new launch ramp a few miles down south of cibola makeing it a little closer to the state park, got to think the mayflower is best for camping if ya want showers and all that

Lets do it

Attached Files:

17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Dale,

I got a question for Ya.

What Airport or Train Station is near you? :confused2:

I may want to come down that way to get a "Jump-Start" on the gang. :amazed:
    (LoL :happy:)

No But Really - I would like to come down there in a few months to hang-out with you & Billy Jo before a Gathering takes place .
    (if it's OK)
    :0a32:

18. gilmafam

State:
    California
    June, June, June....sounds good to me Dale. Looks like your getting the hang of the new camera... thanks for the pics....

You're the expert down there.... let us know and we'll be there...

Bayrunner Ray

19. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Summertime, summertime, sum, sum, summertime. Summertiiiiimmme!
    Got to go when the bite is best.

20. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    All I can say is this talking about going fishing is going to start making me go crazy...Flagstaff is expecting another good snowstorm on Thursday and all the lakes and other water is froze over...with TWO FEET of ice!!

I am game for whenever we schedule it...preferrably away from the first or last of the month...work time off is a little tougher.

ALL,

Looking at the pics that Dale posted, I just wonder who that ole fart is trying to fish on the dock...what a wannabe catter :smile2: Just kidding Bill!!!

I cannot wait to get out and do a little fishing. I think that I may have to take a weekend off right when the snow melts here just to catch something...even if it has to be a little guppy.

Ryan