awsome start to the season at crab orchard

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by 187um, Feb 13, 2009.

1. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    thought i would share my day at crab orchard....15-20 potbellied catfish in roughly 5 hours of fishing. 1/4th full stringer i could barely pick up and broke my personal best twice! still somewhat of a light bite but they are out there and feeding the bellies on these fish are enormous.catching them all on shad guts.hopefully some of you can get out there to enjoy this feeding frenzy i suggest the wolf creek area.thats where mine were caught. so here are some pics for those who told me they are expecting pics from my outting.

2. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    If you do get out there be sure to talk to the wolf creek king of kats my pal YAP-YAP !

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rob your off to a good start. Congrat and thanks for the pics. Who is Yap Yap?

4. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the Pic's but that first pic made me think you was laying down on the job..... until I turned my head sideways:tounge_out:

Nice stringer!!!
    Wooly

5. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    action slowed down due to the water level receeding, slow but stready for early FEB. shad were hard to come by....got lots of practice with the cast net..:wink:

Attached Files:

6. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    YAP-YAP crabs king of wolf creek CATS an POSSEY

Attached Files:

7. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    That picture looks like the Bogard Point at Crab.There is a channel that is approx 250 yards off that point. Good in spring summer and fall. If I'm right.

8. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    Yes Sir, You are right .. been catching em aprox. as far as the reel will throw .as soon as i get fishfinder I'll figuer more out about the channel . Mickey I have taken your advice about the depth/ fishfinder.look at Dunn's Gander mount. feb12th just got the high end Humminbirds at dunn's no larance yet. I am going to wait till I can get into someones boat an acttullay SEE the product work , It is a large investment for me, going to get it right the first time . My old eagle will have to work now! ..Thanx again for your wise words>

9. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    The channel comes under the bridge toward this point and slowly drifts to the south toward the next south point on the left side then turns back to the north side toward pump house neck and carterville beach. I hope this helps.

10. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    yea i learned my 29.95 lesson! see you got out again anything on the trot lines? turns out i work on sunday at 4 sux!! but i think i am still off on wed and thurs weather shows rain wed night and early thurs morning but think i will still swing by there to see if i cant get another nice stringer maybe another PB. well since its v-day i guess i will spend the rest of the evening wiht her so give me a call 2morrow before 4 maybe we can make some plans.

11. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Congrats on the fish and thanks for the post!!!!

12. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    :roll_eyes:i have just been slacking here lately i havent got my stickers yet for crab orchard i have been out of work and looking and i realy havnt had the money but i am trying:roll_eyes::cool2: