Awesome weekend

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by opposum, Nov 1, 2009.

1. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I decided to take my niece deer hunting for the youth season. It started off with a mid week shooting session. Friday night I picked her up and waited for the mourning hunt.

Opening mourning was great. We were hunting a piece of property that is extensively managed for trophy deer. We were given the opportunity to do some culling for him. We saw a monster just a little after 8 a.m. The deer was off limits and would have been out of her range. Anyway....we saw around 30 deer that mourning.

Later that evening we hunted a different stand. My niece made a perfect shot on a spike buck at about 60 yards. Before we hunted I promised her that I'd take her fishing if she killed a deer the first day. She kept her end of the deal and so did I.

We left the house early the next mourning and headed to the lake. We fished four about 4 hours and only managed 4 fish. However, she landed her biggest catfish ever. The fish weighed in at 18 lbs. 7 oz. The smile on her face made it all worth while. She even threw the shad net a few times and cut up a couple of shad for me. I think she enjoyed herself.

Attached Files:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I love the youth hunt. My kids are grown but neighbor lent me his boy. Johnny killed a nice 8 pt. and his sister took a 5 pt. Talk about some high-5in kids, they was on top of the world. I'm plannin on huntin Brandons (BKS72) son this spring and can't wait. Congrats to you and your neice, and everyone else who took the time to take a kid. Time well spent.:wink:

3. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    CONGRADS on a nice deer and a nice fish that smile says it all:wink:.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats to the kids and a big THANK YOU for taking them.

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nice deer and a nice cat all in one weekend, I bet shes all excited for next year. Congrats to you and her. And thanks for taken the time to take a kid out hunting and fishing.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Congrats on the deer an a great time with the youths.

7. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Congrats to the niece on PB cat and nice deer:wink:
    You know you just got her hooked on hunting and fishing and they dont have any just say no programs in school for that or rehabs so your stuck with that for the rest of her life:cool2::smile2::wink::roll_eyes:

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Reps to you sir for helping a young person get on the right track

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    David thanks for sharing your hunting fishing trip with your niece. Enjoyed. Congrats to her on the kill and catch.

10. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good job man, glad to see you taking a kid out to enjoy the outdoors! We need alot more poeple that are dedicated enough to help kids get out there! Chris

11. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Quite the successful weekend! Congrats to both of you!

12. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Couldn't have said it better

13. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for all the replies and kind words.

14. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    You are right the smile on that girl's face wrote the whole story! Tell her congrats for me on both the fur and fish!

15. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    Looks like she had a good weekend. Something to last a lifetime.

16. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you, to all who helped kids enjoy the sports of hunting and fishing. Some one said, The one who takes a kid hunting won't have to hunt for the kid. (or something like that) One dad said this year that he enjoyed the deer his son killed better any he had killed. I agreed with him. Remember treat your kids kindly they will choose you retirement home. By the way that aint as funny as it once was.

17. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    WTG David! It looks like you two had a great weekend.

18. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Congrats and reps to ya for takin a kid fishin, I swear they have more fun than anything else they do, and your helping to ensure that the next generation aint a bunch of antisocials sitting in there rooms playind video games.

19. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I called my niece last night and asked if she wanted to go deer hunting in the second youth season. She knew it was going to be cold and didn't hesitate. I got in touch with a buddy of mine and he loaned me a couple of heaters. We waited til about 11:30 before we got to the stand. Totally enclosed with the two heaters and it was very comfortable. About 2:50 today she harvested her second deer ever and second for the year. She was just as excited today as she was for her first deer. Again she made a perfect shot. I think she's hooked. :cool2::big_smile::wink:

20. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is a pic.

Attached Files: