Awesome site!

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by boombalaty, May 21, 2009.

1. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey guys! Just wanted to say hello and that this site is great! I moved to the kc area a few years ago and I am just starting to fish again. I am itching to find a good creek or river to pull out some some big flatties! I have been fishing different areas at Hillsdale, Olathe, and Gardner lakes with no luck at all. I know the areas around my old stomping grounds (Hutchinson) but im a little lost here. Gonna grab my flatbottom this weekend and hopefull scout a spot somewhere to put her in by next weekend. Grats to all of you that have caught your first fish this year!

2. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    Welcome to the B.O.C., I am a knew member myself and I must say the guys and gals on this site will give you a tip or two when you ask. I am also looking for big flatties, and the mambers has givin me some good tips this year!

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Welcome Matt. Im in Wichita, so I dont know alot about the access up there but I will say there is some good fishin.:wink:
    Where did you used to fish when you lived in Hutch?

4. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    South Hutch sand pit was killer when I was young. Carey park was where I pulled my biggest fish(42lb flathead). Fished Kanopolis and Cheney a bit too as well as Cow creek and the ark. I would really love to get out on the kaw for some really big ones. Need some new gear first lol.

5. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Matt, welcome to the BOC. Check out the threads about our gatherings. The first is at melvern lake in june, then bring that jon boat down to the ark for the fish n float in july.

6. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sweet sounds like a blast! The wife and I will do our best to be there! Thanks!

7. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    welcome to the boc matt. I fish the kaw all the time if you want to go sometime let me know and i will show you a couple spots

8. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys. That would be great Trevor. I am gonna try to get out this weekend somewhere with the wife and my daughter. She is almost 9 now and finally she has an appreciation for fishing. Prob just gonna hit Olathe lake. Hopefully they are biting this weekend.

9. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    PM KC Jayhawk 78.He does really good on that lake.Pretty sure he can help you hook into a biggun there.Hope you and your family have a great time.

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Welcome to the B.O.C., Enjoy your stay here.

11. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Welcom to the BOC, Hillsdale is my "home waters"(12 min from porch to ramp), I'd be glad to show you around sometime. The Flathead in my avatar was caught out of Hillsdale, I've personaly seen an 80 lber released there, has alot of limbliners, but it still has alot of fish......

12. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hillsdale is probably where I will fish alot this year other than the local areas. Its only about 20 min from Gardner so its an easy drive. I am just not sure where to go. Is up near the river inlets a good area. This forum has got me itching for some fish!!!

13. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Hilllsdale has no river inlets, just a few creeks, and fairly small ones. A litttle later the flats are great, right now the channels are feeding in the flooded willow trees, ain't got any flats yet, but they are catchin them on lines up in the 50's already...

14. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Nice to see another fellah join the group! Keep poking around the site,
    don't forget to comb through the Article Library there is a lot of cond-
    enced wisdom there and ways to build what you can't afford to buy.
    You seem to have the hang of talking to the locals for current info
    on nearby waters. Come to a gathering for socializing and such!
    There's a big one happening at Melvern Lake first weekend in June.

15. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeah the creek inlets. Like up near skull creek and the waterfowl refuge. On the maps that area looks like it could be good at least for some nice channels.

16. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Welcome to the BOC Matt it wont be long and these guys will have you catching those giant flatheads by the dam that are as big as Volkswagens and have divers scared to go down there.:big_smile:

17. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    WElcome to the BOC, hope the fishin turns around soon, I dont think the majority of people are catching right now good luck

18. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks I love this site. I think I was on here last night til almost 3am lol. I think im an addict!

19. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas

Thats Bull creek, the two main channels in Hillsdale are Bid and Little Bull creeks, there is smith branch creek and wade branch and rock creek, personaly, i haven't had alot of luck in the upper ends, not even this time of year, all of the creels are stagnent and shallow, flats near main channels in the lake are your best bet.

20. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the tip! I will probably head out there next weekend with the wife.