Awesome sighting today

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Wabash River Bear, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well folks I've lived in Indiana all 45 years of my life and saw something today that I have never seen in the wild before. There is a mating pair of American Bald Eagles nested about a mile from my house. Totally awsome birds, you really dont grasp the size and beauty of our national bird until you see it in its natural setting. They are nested about 150 yds. off the road on the outer edge of a small woods next to a farmers field, within a short flight to a watershed lake. They are easily viewed with a decent pair of binoculars. They must be sitting on eggs, they are taking turns gaurding the nest as one or the other goes hunting or fishing. I hope they are left alone, I would love to see them become permanent residents. I have heard that they mate for life. Will they stay, or migrate like other birds? If they migrate, will they return to the nesting site?:cool2:

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    That is awsome Barry. I seen quite a few in New Jersey while fishng the delaware and they are an impressive site to say the least.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
  4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Barry,
    They are indeed awesome. There is a pair living somewhere around Lawrenceburg / Aurora. I've seen them the last couple of times I launched out of Tanners Creek. Keep us posted on their progress...W

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Barry there is a pair in Milltown IN, so looks like they are making a comeback. Cool.
    :smile2:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Barry they are an awesome bird. A few years ago on the Ohio River there were some nesting in one of the creeks and it became a rule that you had to idle through that area so not to bother them. I made several visits to that are and was awed to watch them. Beautiful creation. Thanks for sharing.:smile2: :smile2:

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    They do migrate but then usually return to their previous nest to rebuild it & enlarge it provided they liked their nesting site. Theres a pair at my hometown water thats returned for 4 or 5 years now.

8. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    cool description! :smile2:

take some pics next bro.....bald eagles are so neat! golden are breathtakin

cyas
    robert

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    It gives you a thrill to see them don,t it I think the game and fish people want to know where they are nesting wouldn,t hurt to give them a call and they can answer any questions you have

10. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    We see them at different times on the James River..
    my favorite!!!

mike b

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's awesome to see these birds getting re-established successfuly. I see 'em while fishing alot anymore, and makes me realize that it's never too late to start respecting the earth, and wildlife. Thanks for the post!!