Awesome In-Fisherman Article!

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Jan 25, 2007.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Y'all need to check out the article about deep Blue Cats in the February issue of In-Fisherman. It's about Blue Cats up to 100ft deep in a lake. What really shocked me when I read it is, I realized we have been fishing very similar to how the article talks about here on Lake Gaston. With the exception of drifting, we have not tried that yet in the Winter. Fishing in the very deep water has been working awesome for us lately.

So, anyone that fishes a large lake/reservoir, should really check this out and give it a try.

2. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    thanxs for heads up on the article zakk

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    No problem buddy, hope it helps.

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I read that article, and I never thought that they would be that deep. I don't have that deep of water around here, but I'm going to watch this thread. I am going to try drift fishing this year. Later Andy

5. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I don't mean to change the subject, but the In-Fisherman used to do an entire magazine on catfish fishing. I bought a copy in '04. Has anyone seen it recently? I couldn't find anything on their website.

6. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Founder of In-fisherman, Al Linder drift fishing Lake Lavon, Texas with local guide in 2005 ... can't really tell from the smile on his face, but I think he had a good time. :confused2:

Attached Files:

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Nah, doesn't look like any fun to me....:roll_eyes:

8. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    I saw the same article. It was very interesting.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yes they still have the catfish insider... it's going to be out in April I do believe I was told.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I hope to go out this weekend, and I want to try drifting like they described. We are doing great anchored and everything, but who knows maybe we could do even better drifting. Because I do know that the last few trips we have been getting on them so good that we have been getting them while our baits were actually sinking! I'll let y'all know what happens if I get to try it.

By the way, we don't have water 100ft deep, we have some water right near the dam from 75-90ft deep, but we have not fished that water since Summer with bobbers. We have been fishing mostly in 60-70ft.

Tight lines.

11. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I saw the article also. I am going to Pickwick lake tomarrow I beleive the lake mentioned in that article. I know of a few deep holes there that I'll try. I will probably drift if the wind will allow.
    I used to subsribe to The Catfish Insider it came every 3 months but they only put out one per year now. The imfo is on their web site.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Good luck man, but if you have a trolling motor you don't have to have wind, from my understanding the guys in the article just used the trolling motor for a controlled drift.

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    THANKS FOR LETTING US KNOW ABOUT THE ARTICLE ZAKK.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Don't forget if you are bringing the fish up from those depths to see if they need "Burping" before putting them back.Plenty on this subject in the library.I alway carry a piece of PVC pipe on my boat just in case.:big_smile: :smile2:

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info. We don't have water that deep around here either, and nobody I know is tough enough to go fishing right now, but I'll keep it in mind.

16. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm pretty sure you can get In-Fisherman's 2007 Catfish Magazine from.

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Good point Jim, we actually had to do that this past Fall on a 40 pounder my dad got, it would not go down, and then I remembered what a guide on the James river said and we happen to have a little piece of pipe type stuff and as soon as we burped the fish it kicked off and went back down.

18. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    Thanks for the info, ill try to find that article, i dont think i have any water that deep around here, but im not sure

19. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If it is the article I am thinking it is we have the person that wrote it as a member on here now. His handle is Kansas Bluecatter and his name is John Jamison and it relates what he did at the Cabela's King Kat Classic this past fall. It is a tactic that takes some skill to master and you have to pay attention to detail on doing it.The man knows how to catch catfish and I am proud to call him my friend. He has taught me more on how to chase blues in the last few years than any one else. I was with him when I caught my first big blue and he has taught more people to catch big fish with the articles he has in In Fisherman than any other I have read about recently.

20. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The water depth is relitive to bigger lakes but you can apply the same tactic to other waters and do the same deal with success.Just gotta do your homework on what body of water you are fishing. I have a lake I am gonna try it on this year to get better at it. I know of very few that are doing it and I hope to get a crack at fish that are not being pressured and I hope to be able to make it work.