Awesome day on the GMR!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hard to believe some idiot would stand in the pouring rain for 3 hrs this afternoon and then tell you it was definately worth it!! That would be me, :crazy: and it was indeed a good day for catching channel cats. I couldnt get ahold of Prostreet so he missed out on some great catching.

The river was up about 4 feet and still rising from the pouring rain all morning so I decided to bank fish since the ramps would be closed. I headed to one of Dinkbusters spots in south Dayton, a deep mud bottomed eddy right along the bank, put out the lines with 4 oz just to keep it on the bottom, 6/0 Gama circles, frozen shad and quicky hooked up with a nice 3 lb channel, then about every 5-8 minutes, would get another hit. anyways, in about 2.5 hrs, landed 11 or 12 channels, hooked at least 3 more and missed another 8-10 good hits, it was truly one of the best days I have ever had for channels in 3 years of fishing for them! most were around 3 lbs with the 2 best going around 6 lbs according to my generic boga scale.
    All fish were right up against the bank in 3-5 feet of water
    Here are a few pics, sorry not any better but in the pouring rain was trying to keep camera lens dry.

here is a shot up the bank, as you can see the shoreline was nonexistant.

[​IMG]

here are a few shots of 3 lbers
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

and here are the 2 best ones of the day, around 6 lbs each.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Looks like Februrary might not be so bad after all, it just takes getting out and trying, to be succesful, kinda makes up for the last 2 trips when i took a skunking :smile2:

Salmonid

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    congrats on the good day mark. looks like in another day or two dinkbusters eddy will be eddying in the woods after all this rain! :wink: glad you got to get out, thanks for the pictures...rollo

3. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    hey sounds like a fun day mark, other than the rain lol, we are heading out to the spillway here in about an hour to try some channels here too, congrats to ya :wink:

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the report and pics. Nice to get out and catch some cats, even in the freezing rain!

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thanks for the report and pics, congratulations on a great day of fishing.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Awesome man glad you finally had a good day!:wink:

7. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nice fishing Mark on the GMR.

8. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Glad to see that you got out and caught some fish Mark

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Good job Mark, nice catches you got there.

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    We need a weekend like this so I can go out unless I called in sick......hmmmmm LOL na need a weekend

Great catch Mark

11. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    sounds like you had a lot of fun. congrats

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You guys must have Spring Fever BAD!

Nice outing!

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Nice one Mark! That's a good sign that spring is right around the corner. Thanks for sharing!

14. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Nice work and consider yourself lucky to have had the time. If I wouldn't have had to work I would have down to Franklin with the same ideas. Congrats Mark!

15. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks guys, It was one of those days where you think, Ill give it a shot for a while and then when it all comes together, it really makes the rain and wind non existant when you are reeling them in.
    Dogcat, I work real, real early ( notice thread time here) so I still pay my dues :eek:oooh:

Migtht try to find a simillar place today except my spot is now underwater:sad2:

Salmonid

16. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    water is now up to 47 degrees, we may have a shot at a Flattie later today!:big_smile: that is of course if we can find some water that not raging too fast...

17. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey sounds like fun to me congrats on your good catch.

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    fish the flooded!! get the waders out, tie on the floats and head for the flooded cornfields or woods!!! that is my kinda spring fishing bro!!!!!:wink: rollo

19. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on the fish mark . Sorry i wasn't able to make it maybe next time. The GMR is getting really high around the house probably will be flooded some places today.

20. CATFISH1998

CATFISH1998 New Member

State:
    Westerville,Ohio
    Vary good day bud. I hope to hit the river this weekend thanks for the pictures.