Awesome Channel Cat Trip to Canada

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by CaptainBrad, Sep 10, 2007.

1. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    If you have never fished the Red River in Manitoba it is a sight to be seen. I have been there many times before this past weekend but am amazed at what we found on this trip.

Two days before we arrived the weather turned bad and the fishing turned south. Our group made some bait adjustments to a coldwater fish for bait rather than frogs or goldeye. The move paid off. These fall feeding fish were unreal. Four guys in 2 boats over 2 days landed (no kidding) 100 channel cats with about a 20 pound average.

Then the biggest thing I want to tell you guys is I crushed my personal best channel by nearly 5 pounds. I went a hair over 32 pounds.

Attached Files:

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Brad. I've always wanted to make the trip, and you are just whetting my appetite. Awsum channel - congrats!

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Congrats on the new PB, that sounds like a great time up there.
    I will try to get there next year as I get up to Roseau a few times a year so the extra few miles would be worth the trip.

4. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Roseau is only about a 2 hour drive. I highly suggest you take a couple days to enjoy it.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice Channel and congrats on your pb.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Man that is an awsome, beautiful, prehistoric, behammoth lookin channel, definately somethin to be proud of. I wanna make that trip one day.

I can only imagine how a 25+ lb channel would fight.Your arms have to get wore out after catchin those fish all day.

I am currently workin on saveing one of the only bodies of water left in SC that still produces big channels.The blues have took over most of the rest.I dont know if its possible to get it to Red River status but we are gonna try.

What are some of the things that makes the Red River so good? Such as size limits, restrictions and things like that?

7. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    heckuva trip brad. went there myself about 12 years ago. went for a day and got about 50 cats. averaged about 17lbs. that was awhile back though. i jacked up our average by getting a 2lber. last fish of the day too. caught hell for it also. nice fish though. glad you had a good time.:big_smile::0a23:

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    !!WOW!! Thanx for sharing with us mere mortals.

9. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on your new PB..

10. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That is awesome, congratulations on the fish! That sounds like one heck of a day on the water.

11. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    I suspect from the pic that you were near the Lockport Lock or the Floodway.
    That whole stretch right up to the lake is super...glad you enjoyed your fishing trip:big_smile:

12. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Congrats Brad. Thats is one of my dream fishing trips.:0a32::0a23:

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    congrats on your new pb channel, thats a huge channel. ,The red is on my top ten to fish ......when my ship comes in :confused2::wink:

14. philly'swife

philly'swife New Member

State:
    Phila. Pennsylvania
    Thats a very nice fish.

15. 450rider

450rider New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is awesome.I want to go one day!