Avoiding Turtles while catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dwreel, Feb 15, 2006.

1. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Is there anything I can do to avoid turtles stealing my bait?? Have a nearby public pond stocked by the state with cats, but turtles are in there for sure. Please help. :confused:

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    not much you can do for them... atleast not that i've found... i guess you could try using larger baits if there are cats in there large enough to eat those baits... or see if dipbaits/punch baits would work... idk since i don't usually get to mess w/ the turtles...

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have not found anyway to avoid them, they tear up my cut bait..But they are not real active in cooler water so that helps some.

4. rpcathunter

rpcathunter New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My answer is only good if you were trotlining, soap (never tried it on rod and reel ) is a good cat bait and the turtles wont miss with it.

5. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    The only way I can gaurantee not catch turtles is to fish for them.;)

6. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I would suggest using live baits in the area. I have never had a turtle mess with a lively fresh bait. Dead baits and cut baits will attract them in a hearbeat if they are near.

7. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Don't know about anyone else but the only way I can avoid catching turtles is to stay home. This past summer a friend of mine caught one out of my pond on a top water bass lure.Seems they eat whatever they can catch. I just try to fish the deepest open water. Turtles tend to gather close to shore,especially if a lot of people fish there.They know where to get feed.LOL

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cant avoid turtles. What gets me and makes me want to take my 22 too shoot their heads off.
    They will poke their heads out of water watching me. Then go under, all of a sudden I start getting a bite. I try setting the hook, end up with nothing, re bait and those turtles pop back up laughing at me and they do it again , I keep re baiting. Now and then I will snag one. Then its my turn when I reel that sucker in. :evil-big: :)

9. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    LOL thats for sure. I am not aware of anyway to discourage them from stealing your bait. There always seems to be that pesky one which wont leave you alone. I have tried throwing a chicken leg near but not to close to were I am fishing in order to distract them. I have had limited sucess doing that. The problem being is that it can draw others in. Then your really in trouble if you have a small herd. Anyone for turtle soup?

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just make sure I use a lower quality bait when fishing w/ flathunter, sure my bait is 2nd in quality, but the tutrles always go after the fresh cut bait & go after Flathunters bait & not mine!

11. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to catch turtles non stop when using chicken liver. When I started not being lazy and actually going and catching bluegills and creek chubs, my turtle bite went down. I'm not really sure why I don't get them on cutbait though, everyone else is catching them on cutbait.

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    there are days/nights that they'll drive you crazy on live baits as well!

13. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I say if they are stealing my bait then make em bait. I have smashed open their shells with my Woodsman and watched the gills feast. You know that kind of feeding has to attract bigger hungry fish. Some turtle meat on a hook may just be the ticket.

14. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you have a problem with turtles, you do not want to use livers. I used chicken livers in the river I fish and at times the turtles would be everywhere, but they do not mess with a live bait like a bluegill or Chub!

15. wayne7009

wayne7009 New Member

State:
    miller missouri
    u could allways catch them and have turtle soup yummy

16. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The pond can be your problem. You can get a turtle trap thats like a minnow trap from Catfish Connection. I kill every one I catch.

17. D-NICE-OK

D-NICE-OK New Member

State:
    INDY
    Usually if you are catching turtles the fish are not around. Have you ever hooked them in the foot when trying to snatch up what look like a fish bite?:mad:

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good point. when we start getting a lot of "turtle runs" and nothing else, we usually pack up and leave. same thing with gar, when either are on the prowl really aggressive it usually means the cats are shut off.

19. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only thing I have found to avoid turtles, is to buy Rockbass a round trip ticket to your area. He will make it his mission to trap, grab, jug, or bank line every turtle out of the body of water you are having problems with. He can not guarantee that no turtles will return in the future as they always make there way back to a body of water. He will however promise that the turtle threat will be deminished enough so that you will not have to worry about them for quite a whiile. Act now before he is all booked up!:p :grin-big:

20. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont think u can avoid turtles, u just have to deal with them.