Avoiding GAR

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Malichi1970, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Ok, went fishing last night out at Truman Park in Jefferson County.....Seemed like a decent enough spot to fish, but other than a small (about 8" long) Blue Cat all we caught were a couple of good size Gar. We were getting good hits all night long and on more than one occasion I reeled in to find my bait torn in half making me think it was another Gar.

So, my question is this how do you avoid this darn things? I know there were Catfish in there, I've had more than one person tell me they've caught nice cats in that hole, but is it a bait thing or a location thing, maybe a depth thing...I'm at a loss on how to stay away from them and keep my bait in the water for what I'm actually fishing for.....Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks in advance.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have no idea how to avoid gar. If I catch more than two at a spot I just move. Something got them in there wheter it was baitfish are people cleaning fish there are whatever but they will eventually move out, IMHO but it may take awhile. Let me add that this is on lakes not much river fishing for me.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You were probably fishing the slack water with very little current. That's where the gar tend to hang out. Find a spot with faster current and I'll bet you find fewer gar. And probably more catfish!

4. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    I agree with the rest of the guys, if you get more than a few of those quick cut your bait in half hits just move on to someplace where water is moving faster as mr T said in the rivers it seems like you always find them in the slow moving eddies etc...

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Just catch em all and use em for cutbait to scare the rest off. lol jk, I don't think there are any real solutions other than moving or being patient.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Once you start hitting gar, it seems to me that as long as you feed them what they want, they'll stick around. If you don't want to move, try some other kind of bait, maybe nightcrawlers or, if you use the stuff, a stinkbait.

7. fishhead

fishhead New Member

State:
    KC Missouri
    Cut those gar up for bait.Catfish like em but gar dont.:eek:oooh:

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ditto. I agree with all the post. Change spots to find more current. And use Gar as bait. Kittys love em.

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This was spoken directly to me tonight cause I just came back from fishin and all I caught was a gar full of eggs. I seen it was lookin more and more like rain so I left!:crazy: pk powell

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Tuesday, when I went fishing, got a lot of hits from gar, whacked off half my bait or mangled my bream so bad you couldn't recognize it, and I was drift fishing, Only got 5 channels, though they were decent size, 2lbs to 4lbs, but did hook up with a gar about 4 ft long...good tussel. Thankfully, he broke the line while I was trying to decide how to get him off the hook. Kayaks an toothy fish don't mix. Enjoyed the fight, but didn't enjoy the catch.

11. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Thanks for the advise, if I head down there again I'll try to fish off the point of the dyke in the current and see if thats any better.