Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to give everyone the heads up regarding my recent and horrible experiences with Frabill Aerators so you don't waste your money like I did. I would suggest that you don't buy their products and try to find another brand.

Since March 15, 2010 I've purchased five Frabill Aerators (2 Portable Aerator #1423s and 3 Aqua-Life #1425 devices) to keep live bait. However, all five devices stopped working after only one usage that lasted between 24 and 48 hours. And the exact same problem persists across all five devices, which is that the aerator no longer pumps any air through the blue stones. This type of quality for any product is unacceptable. Finally, Frabill claims on their website in the product description that both devices are "whisper quiet". That is far from the truth.

Buyer beware—keep your money and stay far way from Frabill Aerators.

And if you've experienced the same problem with a Frabill Aerator share your story here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I usually get more than 48 hours out of an air stone, but those things do have to be replaced. I always order a whole bunch of extra air stones because they will clog up and air will stop flowing through them. If you have a box full of extras on hand, just slap one on and the aerator will work like new again. Much cheaper to order extra stones than to keep buying more aerators.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I usually get more than 48 hours out of an air stone, but those things do have to be replaced. I always order a whole bunch of extra air stones because they will clog up and air will stop flowing through them. If you have a box full of extras on hand, just slap one on and the aerator will work like new again. Much cheaper to order extra stones than to keep buying more aerators.
Yeah I use 2 bubble boxes during the weekdays on my 165qt cooler so I dont have to worry about my aerator clogging while im at work. I have kept gills, crappie, bass and bullheads for weeks. I change air stones maybe 2 times a year.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Interesting, bought the portable one a few months back, and have quit frankly been hard on it and it's still going. I've dropped it one good time, been out in manly rain storms, and the only thing I've replaced is the air stone because I broke the end off pulling the hose off. With the air stones cheap and easy to find, it's not much of a issue.

On the other hand, looking at the selection up here in Gander Mtn and a few other places, I can't see any other brands being better in quality. (Just my opinion)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Do they work without the stone? The stones are all junk. Put some weight on the end of the hose and forget.

I wore out the middle model one with the light on it. I think it lasted two years and was the best of the pumps like this I have tried. Definitely quieter than the $6 ones.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I've used bubble boxes from walmart for years. They'll last more than 2 days running non stop on new batteries. The only reason I have to replace them is I usually leave them in my boat and I have to dump the water out of them before I use them. especially after the boat has been stored over the winter. Keep them dry and who knows how long they'll last.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I've been using the frabil's for the last 8 or 9 years. really haven't had any problems, other then periodically replacing the air stones and batteries. did have one go bad after 6 yrs. But i figured I got my money out of it, using it most weekends.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Update: replaced my old faithful with a new one. The cheap one. It lasted like 4 trips and quit pumping. Honestly, I can't believe it. Motor chugs right along just doesn't pump air.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Update: replaced my old faithful with a new one. The cheap one. It lasted like 4 trips and quit pumping. Honestly, I can't believe it. Motor chugs right along just doesn't pump air.
As long as the motor itself is still going it's probably not a big deal. Take it apart. It's probably the diaphram. Once you get it apart it should be pretty easy to tell what is broken and it's definitely cheaper to just replace a diaphram than to buy a new aerator all the time. I haven't looked if Frabill offers replacement parts for their aerators, but even if they don't they souldn't be too hard to find. Pet shops have replacement diaphrams if you can match the sizes.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just wanted to give everyone the heads up regarding my recent and horrible experiences with Frabill Aerators so you don't waste your money like I did. I would suggest that you don't buy their products and try to find another brand.

Since March 15, 2010 I've purchased five Frabill Aerators (2 Portable Aerator #1423s and 3 Aqua-Life #1425 devices) to keep live bait. However, all five devices stopped working after only one usage that lasted between 24 and 48 hours. And the exact same problem persists across all five devices, which is that the aerator no longer pumps any air through the blue stones. This type of quality for any product is unacceptable. Finally, Frabill claims on their website in the product description that both devices are "whisper quiet". That is far from the truth.

Buyer beware—keep your money and stay far way from Frabill Aerators.

And if you've experienced the same problem with a Frabill Aerator share your story here.
Thanks for the inform

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
As long as the motor itself is still going it's probably not a big deal. Take it apart. It's probably the diaphram. Once you get it apart it should be pretty easy to tell what is broken and it's definitely cheaper to just replace a diaphram than to buy a new aerator all the time. I haven't looked if Frabill offers replacement parts for their aerators, but even if they don't they souldn't be too hard to find. Pet shops have replacement diaphrams if you can match the sizes.
Ok Ron, I can see reason. There is a little flat check valve on top of the motor and pump. A drop of water in there won't drain and with everything dried off it works. Kinda not the best design.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
often a diapham will rip if the line gets blocked or pinched or the airstone it plugging up creating alot of resistence and overloading the pump diaphrams abilities. fix the blockage and seal the rip/hole in the diapham with a tiny dab of instant crazy glue, it will seal the rubber diapham almost instantly and in five minutes put it back together and you should be in business again. the culprit is usually the air stone plugging, a store that sells aquarium supplys usually has these by the box full and they are cheap keep some extras along or at home and run without one till you get a replacement if needed. they also sell a one way check valve that goes inline on your airline between pump and airstone,these will save a pump and are cheap insurance for less than a buck.

one other thing if the diapham is old and cracking when you stretch it a little replacement will be nessasary if it is in good shape other than a rip just crazy glue it and it'll go a long time.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
I've had no problems with any of my 4 battery operated aerators. Got two Frabils, both are really quiet, one has a light and the other doesn't. Have a Rapala aerator and also a Bubble Box. You may wonder why I have 4 aerators, I had two already and received two more Christmas of 2008. If I'm storing minnows at home, I use a Rubbermaid tub and an Aqua Tech pump and filter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.