Avid casting reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by MAX1955, Jan 28, 2010.

1. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Well I was seriously thinking of buying a Avid casting reel (AC300A), thought I was going to get a good American made reel. But I couldn't find any information on where it was made looking at there site, (St. Croix) so I sent an e-mail. I ask if there casting reels and parts were American made. The reply I got was, there reels are made by Daiwa for St. Croix, and are manufactured in Japan and Thailand. So much for my American made reel. Guess I'll stick with Abu reels, really wanted one good American made reel though.

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    No Steve there Avid a St. Croix line of reels that came out about two years ago, I thought maybe they were American made since there rods are.

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Avet reels are USA made.....a little pricey but they seem to be AWSOME!!!

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I got a couple of the Avets on my must have list this year.I like the lx series.I don,t really need em,just got a bad hankering for a couple!:Money:

6. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Those are some nice reels but they don't have the levelwind system, and I'm not use to using that type of reel.

7. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    The rumour is that Avet is about to come out with a levelwind reel.I have owned 3 Avets up
    to 50w size and they were awesome.The little sx will haul in some nice fish.The lx will haul in big fish.Everything bigger than that will haul in a monster.I only gave up my 50w because I quit kayakin baits out and just cast from the beach now.I caught a 6.5 Blacktip on the lx.It will handle any cat swimmin. Hint to Bigcatpat....lol

8. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I would like to see one with a levalwind.

9. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I got a couple Avet reels, they are kinda high, but they are well made, and easy to cast, easy to reel in a big fish. Nice reels. Not having a level wind is not a big deal, it may seem to be, but after awhile the user gets used to it and don't even notice he's managing the line. Another nice thing, you will be able to pass em on to your kids or grandkids. I was talkin with a guy who sells em and he said he could modify em to have 100 lbs drag. There are some pretty good US made reels, I've been lookin at used stuff, and sometimes folks just have to get rid of em or dont' need em anymore. Then they are on sale cheap, and the worst is they might need someone to check em out or put new line on em.

10. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Yea the drags can get pretty beefy in those reels. I watch this guy on youtube named captain Chancey who uses the avet reels with the quad drags. Anyway he invited a guy from a strong man competition to hook into goliath grouper that are 500+ pounds with the drag wrenched tight! He ended up breaking the 1500 lb cable leader attached to 600lb test numerous times!!! LOL! Now thats what I call a DRAG!

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    It is true, AVET is in the designing stage of a New Levelwind reel. I got it strait from one of the best rod builders in the world who works at their facility..I can say its going to be about the best levelwind made, if its built even close to the non-levelwind reels they make. Not for sure when they are coming out , but as soon as I hear something I'll post it here for sure before hand.