AVET REELS

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bownero, Jan 31, 2008.

1. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    does anybody out in the boc own of ever tried an AVET reel? I have an AVET MXL. this in an outstanding reel, but I can't cast very good with it. usually results in a backlash. I have messed around with the brake on it, but still get mediocre results. Avet reels are conventional style meaning there is no lineguard. any advice will be helpful. :eek:oooh:

2. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I have a Shimano Torium for saltwater jigging, but it don't cast worth a hoot. It does know how to bring a Tuna to the boat, however.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I believe Vic, A.K.A. Dreamcatcher uses them.
    Whatever happened to him? He doesn't come around anymore.
    Vic, are you out there?
    ...W

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea just as i suspected you should box it up and ship it to me immediatly:wink::big_smile: im not sure about youre particular reel but most lever drag reels dont have an ajustment knob for the cast just a knob for the preset drag tention on the side of the lever. if thats the knob youre turning it wont do you anny good if theirs a brake knob for the cast ajust it so the weight falls slowly in freespool. if not your gonna have to use youre thumb to slow it down more pressure durring take offs and landings and ride it out in the middle if it starts to flare up quickly apply a little more pressure to slow the spool then lighter pressure so the sinker can pull out the fluff. listen for the sound of fluffing when you cast, after you get to know your reel well enough youll know if the sinkers gonna pull fast enough to pull the fluff or if your gonna have to slow it down.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I have an Avet XS that I use for saltwater fishing. They are like mini tuna reels. Good for drop fishing and jigging, BUT THEY CAST LIKE CRAP!

That's you should always use ABUS!

6. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    the mxl is a pretty large reel. Its hard to control if you have a full spool of line on it. you can try magging it if you intend to cast say 70yds or more.

Simple casting shouldnt be a problem though. the Sx cast the easiest followed by the mxj i guess.