Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a avet reel for a few years but could not figure out which one.. I have never had one in my hands so i thought id ask here... i use abu 6500 and 7000. I dont want anything bigger than the 7000.. was thinking mxl g2 5.8 or mxj g2 5.8.... any recommendations?

· Premium Member
Eric from Indianapolis
2,409 Posts
I use an MXL. That thing can way outcast the Abu reels, although I use mine to suspend baits on the Ohio River. The drag is capable of bringing in any cat, at least on this continent.
My other river rods are 7000s. The only thing a bit easier with the 7000 is the easy button to push to disengage the reel. When I suspend I'm constantly changing the depths, and the button makes adjustments take less time than the lever drag on the Avet.
The Avet is a work of art, a bulletproof reel for sure.

· Registered
Avet, Penn and Shimano Reels, MadKatz Sage, and St. Croix rods, Ande Monster mono.
79 Posts
Is the mxj smaller than a abu 6500?
I think it’s larger, holds the same amount of line as the Penn 25 Fathom. I think it’s roughly a 7000, but, I’m not an Abu guy, so, I can’t say 100%. The MXJ has less “wobble” when cranking in my opinion, since it’s narrow. The large power handle can make them rock side to side when you’re really cranking. One point to note with the Avet, on almost all of my freshwater rods, I need to use the reel clamp to mount the reel, the foot is too large to seat fully in, so, you use the included clamp. It’s not a huge issue, but, something you should be aware of. I have the MXJ filled with 30lb Ande Monster, and use them for cats, they work great for me.

· Registered
Avet, Penn and Shimano Reels, MadKatz Sage, and St. Croix rods, Ande Monster mono.
79 Posts
Is the mxj smaller than a abu 6500?
Also, be aware, the Avet is not a “bait cast” reel, it is a conventional reel. The Abu’s are a level wind, Avet is not. The Magic Cast upgrade will help on the Avet, but, it is a slight adjustment moving from a baitcaster/round reel, to a conventional.

I did a Youtube review on them, I’m not responsible for lost brain cells from watching it, but, maybe it will help?

Unboxing Avet MXJ MC G2 Right hand, with Glide Plate, conventional fishing reels.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, be aware, the Avet is not a “bait cast” reel, it is a conventional reel. The Abu’s are a level wind, Avet is not. The Magic Cast upgrade will help on the Avet, but, it is a slight adjustment moving from a baitcaster/round reel, to a conventional.

I did a Youtube review on them, I’m not responsible for lost brain cells from watching it, but, maybe it will help?

Unboxing Avet MXJ MC G2 Right hand, with Glide Plate, conventional fishing reels.
I appreciate the video and help.. I have been looking at the mxl and mxj.. i never really considered the majic cast tho . I have abu 6500s and 7000s but dont want anything much bigger than the 7000 because the feel ackward or off balance on the rod.. your thoughts?

· Registered
79 Posts
I appreciate the video and help.. I have been looking at the mxl and mxj.. i never really considered the majic cast tho . I have abu 6500s and 7000s but dont want anything much bigger than the 7000 because the feel ackward or off balance on the rod.. your thoughts?
I would go with the MXJ’s personally. Your Abu’s have a magnet brake on them, that’s basically what the Magic Cast is. Casting a conventional without is possible, but, unforgiving. If it were me, Mxj, gen 2, mc, 5.8. I think that I have about 220 yards of 30lb Ande Monster on mine, I don’t need more line where and how I fish. If you do, then bump the the Mxl, but, it’s going to be larger than your 7000.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And yes the Avet is mounted to one of the old R2 War Rods that used to be sold on this site. One heck of a rod!
Did you get the magic cast one? I the mxl doest appear much bigger than the 7000.. my buddy bought a penn squall 50 and that thing is ridiculously large and unbalanced on any rod and thats what i didnt want

· Registered
Josh from Alabama
140 Posts
I have the sx with magic cast. It is a beast of a reel in a small package. I will say that they are not the smoothest reels. If you want a buttery smooth reel then buy a tekota. If you want a reel that is all aluminum, usa made and built to last a lifetime. Then get the Avet.
Liquid Fluid Finger Creative arts Nail

Liquid Tire Fluid Finger Automotive tire

1 - 17 of 17 Posts