Avet owners check in

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Guthooked, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I recently purchased an Avet SX 5.3 with Magic Cast. I really didn't want to spend that much money on a reel but I just had to do it. I have only used it for surf fishing since I got it and I am plesantly suprised on how much cranking power it has for such a small reel. It is actually smaller in size than an Abu 6500 and Penn 525 Mag.

It has more line capacity than the Penn 525 mag and my 6500C3 and can throw just as far as the 525 mag.

I have it on a Breakaway HD-X 13 foot surf rod.

Here are a couple of pics.
    Paul2009005-1.jpg

Paul2009006.jpg

Paul2009007.jpg

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Avet makes a fine reel! I used to own one, but never got used to casting it correctly due to the reels not having a levelwind. It was a conventional baitcaster. It was definently a beefy and very smooth reel. I just feel comfortable using a levelwind and feel more confident on the casting of this type of reel. I never spent enough time with the Avet, but really liked it for it's quality. A well built, MADE IN USA, fishing reel!!

What the heck! I sold the reel on Ebay and made a extra $20!!

Thanks!!

3. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I gave it a thorough ringing out this past saturday and caught some large sting rays and a 5' lemon shark. I almost got spooled by the shark because I waded out to the first bar and threw my bait out somewhere just short of 100 yards. When the shark made her first run I had to wade back out on the first bar to fight her because I could see the bottom of the spool.
    Paul2009030.jpg

Paul2009031.jpg

Paul2009026.jpg

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    That's some cool pics Paul!! I would love to try some ocean fishing for those sharks and other species. That looks like a great time!! Congrats on the catch and enjoy that Avet reel. Looks like your breaking it in the right way!! Great job!!

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I heard they going to produce a level wind,,I do not know when its comeing ,but the source came from a freind of the designers of avets out of Cal. I would have bought a couple of them blue babies by now, but I'm waiting for the levelwinds...Hopeing to get mine soon..:cool2:

avets are the most widely used reels for in/offshore fishing..Killer reels..

6. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I'm a very proud Avet owner.
    In fact I think I may have been the first one to mention them here back when I first started posting (2005)
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2031

I firmly believe the SX is the finest catfishing reel ever made. It's almost like it was made FOR catfishing;
    small enough to fit on normal rods,
    machined one piece frames,
    tons of line capacity for the size,
    phenomenal drag, and of course the lever drag mechanism

Then there is the absence of a levelwind, which I know is an issue for many people, but in all honesty it helps get better distance on your casts, is one less thing to get grit and dirt in, one less thing to ware out and serves no purpose at all when reeling in a fish.
    With out a level wind, you can tame your reel down (for casting) by making a faster line pattern back and forth across the spool, this will prevent the line from digging in and provide a more constant spin off when casting. If your boat fishing and need more capacity then you make a more tight line pattern on the spool, laying the line like thread on a spool.
    With a level wind, you only have the pattern the levelwind offers you.

There has been rumors of Avet making a levelwind since back in 2004 as well as a spinning reel. It took years worth of people modifying their SX to motivate Avet to produce the MC reel. So Cal fishermen have been static magging the SX since 2003 (that I know of), and look how long it took them to respond to the need for a way to slow down these incredible reels.

There has been some interest from offshore anglers who use the SX for kids and unskilled patrons on charter boats, but I think that was part of the reason they produced the MC, to tame the reels down for beginners. I wouldn't hold my breath for a levelwind, and don't think it would be any improvement if it were to come out. But then again, I take the levelwind off my Abu's too... if I'm not tossing lures, I don't want anything holding me back.

7. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I do not own one of these, but have held one! To my Plesent Surprise, they are Very nice pieces of fishing equipment! A friend has this one and it does have the features that a Catfisherman or inshore angler would want on their reels. USA made and Very Worth the Price! JMHO!!!!!!

HOPPY4

8. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    I have the Avet MXL without the MC Cast. I tell you one thing though, if I try to stop that bail without tape on my thumb i got problems lol. Braided line is bad stuff for the thumb on those. I have a black one and it is the smoothest reel I have ever used, the next in comparison is my Shimano Tekota 600. That Shimano is a great reel to but if I get another baitcaster it will be another Avet MXL with the MC Caast on it. I am more interested in getting a Shimano Baitrunner 6500 right now though. I really want to try one of those out because if they work like they are supposed to then that will be just amazing because I like spinning reels better anyways. For the last several years I have been stuck with baitcasters because I have found nothing really big enough with the options that a baitcaster gives you and I just found out about the Baitrunner so I gots to hurry up and get $130 LOL.

9. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    MrFlathead, The difference that you will encounter is the Distance! If you are casting Heavy baits with the Baitcaster, you will immediately notice that it is HARDER to do with the Shimano US Baitrunner. Your finger will be holding the line when you cast and if using Braide, you will FEEL it! You can make equal casts, yet you will need to add a Finger Stall or use a special adapter called the Cannon to protect your finger. I am casting up 150yd. with my Shimano spinning reels setup and do not require them for Carp fishing. My weight is only about 1lb. MAXX so this is not an issue. When fishing for cats or inshore salt, the use of the cannon has definitely made a difference. All of the other things that you have read or heard about with the Shimano US Baitrunner reels is mostlikely TRUE! They are Fantastic for Catfishing or any other fishing that you allow the fish to Strike and Run rather than casting and retreiving. They are Strong reels and will hold up for many years with little or no maintenance. I think that you will be Happily surprised with them. Do not get me wrong, the Baitcasters still have a place and I use them. I prefeer the Spinning reel for most of my fishing in freshwater and baitcasters in saltwater. JMHO!!!!!!

HOPPY4