Avet MXL conventional reel!!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by dreamcatcher, Dec 19, 2005.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I've spoken to a few people in regard to Avet reels, and have heard nothing but positive feedback. True, they are not well known in catfishing circles, but in saltwater conversation they have gotten some rave reviews. These reels are very solid, and the tolerances are pretty tight. One piece aluminum with Type 2 anodizing for saltwater conditions. The one pictured here is an MXL single speed; it weighs 18.2 ounces, and it's roughly the size of an Abu7000, give or take. It has a 4.5:1 gear ratio, and doesn't have magnetic braking, which allows this baby to cast a mile, which is an adjustment I have to make. Then there's the non levelwind feature. Really it's not that big a deal based on spooling the reel, but if you intend on retrieving lures to catch fish, you might want to go in another direction. LOL. I like it because it's one less thing to get in the way of my casting, and one last thing to break. If you want to know a little more about Avet's lineup you can go here:

http://www.avetreels.com/products.html

They come in six different colors from what I've seen from different retailers, and they are made - and I use this term loosely - in the USA. The company is based in California. I won't be doing the Shimano thing after finding these guys. :)

Attached Files:

2. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Here's a few more images:

Attached Files:

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Hey Vic,
    Better not let ol' JW see that reel. In the right light it could look pink :p ...W

4. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

without being magged the reels will backlash and backlash some more....you will get more distance if you get the reels magged....the sx has become very popular among surf anglers but there is no way to throw them(for distance)without mags....most use a thicker bearing oil and magnets to slow them down....the drag system is very good but they are lacking in the clicker part...really quiet

5. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

The clicker on this one is pretty loud. The switch is tight out of the box, but loosens up after you work with it a few times.

I am curious about the magging though. I read about that when I was researching the reel. What magnets are the best ones to use?

6. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

you have too use rare earth magnets for best results...try and search for lee valley on the net...lots of info there....in general you want the magnets in reverse polarity and as close to the spool as possible....also dont glue the magnts to the sideplate...glue a washer or something first so the magnets are removable...id go with 1/4 " mags ...maybe 3 or four will do it....you can "piggyback"magnets to get them closer to the spool...this also increases the strenght of the breaking force....also search the web for magging a reel..stuff should come up...magging is really easy and cheap and will save you alot of money with less backlashes...also,maybe they have changed their clicker...all the ones i heard were like a "mumbling "clicker...they could have just been worn out tho....