Average time per flathead catfish catch

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by FlatheadMan, Jun 27, 2006.

1. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Just wondering if anyone has tryed to figure out the time per fish caught only the fish 20lbs and over. Seems Im catching about 2 a month thats at least 3 days a week fishing 5 to 6 hrs each time !!!!!

2. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    That is pretty darn good! I don't get to fish nearly that much right now, with a 10 month old daughter who I can not bare to be away from for more than a few hours at a time. When I did fish alot though, I would catch maybe 2 over 20lbs in a full summer. That is fishing about 2 nights a week, for 3 to 5 hours at a time

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hmm, 36 years and still searching for that 20+ lb. catfish. I hope when I catch the first one, the second one don't take as long!:crazy:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I tryed to figure that out I would really be depressed, lets just say many, many hrs and weeks.

5. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That's like trying to figure the cost per pound of wild quail.:lol: It just doesn't equate favorably to the sportsman.
    The sound of a screaming clicker as your bait is taken by that underwater feeding machine or the explosive rise of a pinned covey of birds held tightly by a staunch pointer.......priceless!!!!

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Are you just out to try and get me depressed?

34 years fishing.

Never caught anything over 20#. At least not intentionally. The spoonbill I pulled in while catting probably doesn't count here.

7. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    RPnKC -

I couldn'y have said it ANY better!

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I failed to mention the 2 per summer I caught over 20lbs were on limb lines or trot lines. Largest on rod and reel are only around 12 lbs, and they are few and far between.

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Hmmm... which way do I go with this one? 2 in one year..... also 2 in 30 days.... hmmm.... also two in 40 years. All I've got to say is them is some expensive fish!

10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    lets see.:roll_eyes: i fish about every other day and ummm.....yeah:confused2:- never catch anything over 20. :lol:

11. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Well the reason i ask this question was a lot of people ask me to take them out to catch a big flatty but dont understand the amount of time we put in and expect to catch one all the time so i was trying to gage a time per fish I think if I told them the truth they woudnt even ask anymore for the people here this doesnt even matter we fish for our own personal reason.The guy I took out saturday night caught a 23# flatty his first time out this was the first time he fished for flathead I told him it might be a long time before he catches another one that size + Im not given up any of my honey holes..Thanks for the post guys.Mike

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Flatheadman, if I had a buddy who was catching 2 20# fish per month, I would be wanting to tag along too!! You must have some good holes, don't give them up, next thing you know it will be nutts to butts on all of them! :big_smile:

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    WELL SAID!! Never heard it put any better than that!