Average size of ya'lls skipjack?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by dparsons21, Jan 19, 2010.

1. dparsons21

dparsons21 New Member

State:
    Bessemer, Alaba
    I have seen a lot of stripe fisherman and other catfishermen online with skippies a pound or under. Where I fish for them, I cant catch one under 2 pounds. I have to cut them in half just to get them in a gallon bag. Is this normal size? I usually catch about 15 to 20 per trip all between 2 and 3 1/2 pounds. Any ideas? I would love to catch some a little smaller so that I can drift them whole below the dam.

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    here in north alabama that can is common other places not so common . where in alabama are you ? and welcome to the BOC

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I catch mostly small skipjack because I am always on the bank or at the dam. I also much prefer the smaller ones. For me the perfect size is one I can get 2 baits from, one mid section and one head section. I would like to use large chunks, but I can't get the casting distance I need with them.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the USCA Daniel.

5. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    Gosh sounds like a good problem to have. In the spring here in Indiana we catch them up to 22” regularly. As summer goes on will net small ones that seem to grow very rapidly and by early fall may be 7-9”. There are just about impossible to keep alive though so are pretty much used as cut bait. Having said that there are always exceptions and this fall I netted about a dozen 8” or so knowing they would die didn’t bother to put in bait tank just threw em in live well. When I got to my fishing spot was surprised to find them alive. Best day I had all year on those little live skips.

6. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    On the Chattahoochee where I catch them they are between 6 to 22 inches. The smaller ones are not as hard to keep alive in the spring as the larger ones. I fish smaller ones live and cut up the bigger ones.

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Skips are sporadic in the Mo river where I am @. I dident even catch one last year. In years past when I have found em they have been about 1 to 2 lbs. I dont know what went wrong this year but mabe all the super high water in the river kept em scatterd. I usaly find em in thick with the mooneye during the mayfly hatches on the mo river. But this year nota one with the mooneye shoals.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do you think the Asian carp are hurting the skipjack population.

9. dparsons21

dparsons21 New Member

State:
    Bessemer, Alaba
    Usually, I love getting the larger ones to use as cut bait. But when I try to net them I cant get any under 10". I want the smaller ones so that I can drift them under a balloon when the dam that I frequent is generating, which also happens to be where I catch my skipjack. I live in the Hueytown area just outside of Birmingham.

10. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    Ours are anywhere from 6 inches to 2 lbs. The sabiki rigs and 1/32 oz hair jigs work well when the smaller ones are biting and crappie jigs work well for the medium sized ones. About this time (February) we catch the 2 pounders in Little Rock on 1/4 oz twister tail jigs. I prefer 6-8 inches...2 pieces of bait per skip.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Most of what I've seen and caught in the Ohio river are between 7 and 14" which makes good size baits IMO. Fish the smaller ones whole and chink the bigger ones.