Average size catfish?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Big Russ, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey guys, what do you think the average size for cats are out there in Mo. and which are most commonly caught.
    Thanks for your input.
    Russ

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Russ, thats a good question. I had to look back through my records, and I cant speak for everyone, but I have an average of around 13 pounds. Thats counts the little ones, and the 94, 72, 63, dozens in the 30's and 40's, and way too many little guys to count. I'd say the "average fish" is around the 10-15 pound mark though. I'm curious to see what the other brothers think.

3. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Its probably is closer to 1.25 - 2 lbs. theres a ton of stringers out there with a limit of "eating size" fish.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    you make a good point. I guess it would depend on what your are fishing for. I dont fish for the food, and my habits are too fish only for the larger fish so my numbers probably dont make a good average. As well, it would depend on what body of water you are fishing.

5. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    yes a lot depends on what you are after, most fishermen feel great trying to catch a mess of skillet size fish, but if your fishing 30-30 lb test line and big riggs you don't catch a bunch of the dinks. I'm with you Cuz , I'm fishing for big fish all the time, if I want some for eating I will take my nephews or wife and let them have the fun.

6. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't keep records yet--but I'm thinking about it. I would say that when fishing the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers in the areas I do (about a 40 mile radius centered in St. Charles Mo) would be in the 10 lb range. However, I've only been at this for a short while. My biggest is a 37lber with lots of fish in the teens as well as a ton on 5lb or less fish. I guess you could call my fishing tactics "Big Fish Tactics". Not sure exactly what I mean by that except that I primarily use large cut bait and only seldom put on a worm in search of small channels.

I'm happy to report that every single fish that I have caught from these river systems has been returned healthy to the water to grow and hopefully raise my 10 lb average.

Now lake/pond fishing on the other hand... I'd have to put my average at about 2.5 lbs and I do keep of few of these little buggers to fry up.

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Well here in N.Y. a 7 lb. channel cat would probably be considered average, but im trying my hardest to change that. My biggest last summer was 12.