AVATAR'S.......CAUTION MIGHT HURT

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tha ''GUTBUCKET'', Sep 18, 2009.

1. tha ''GUTBUCKET''

tha ''GUTBUCKET'' New Member

State:
    GASTONIA,NC WYLIE
    :cool2: JUST WONDERING, ALL YOU GUYS WITH THESE GIANT CAT'S IN YOUR AVATAR, (THAT WE ALL LOVE TO CATCH)........ARE THESE FISH DEAD OR ALIVE TO SWIM ANOTHER DAY....... IF DEAD HAVE YOU HAD A CHANGE OF HEART OR THOUGHT THAT THESE FISH ARE THE FISH OF OUR FUTURE, AND OUR SPORT...........NOT TRYING TO TICK ANYBODY OFF WITH THIS POST, I KNOW BY ''LAW'' YOU'RE ALOUD TO KEEP FISH, BUT THE ''LAW'' DOES NOT PRESERVE THE SPORT.........ONLY FISHERMEN THAT REALLY CARE CAN DO THAT.....AGAIN IF THE FISH WAS GONNA DIE OR YOU AND YOUR BUDDIES WERE RALLY, REALLY, REALLY STARVING, I UNDERSTAND.........THE GUY'S THAT WON'T LIKE THIS POST ,ARE THE GUY'S THAT CONTINUALLY KILL THESE OLD,OLD,OLD FISH..................JUST WONDERING IF YOU'VE CHANGED SINCE THE PIC IN YOUR AVATAR HAS BEEN TAKEN....REMEMBER...PRACTICE
    CATCH & RELEASE.NOT CATCH & GREASE..........ALL REPLYS WELCOME SO CHIME IN AND LET IT BEGIN:big_smile:

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    this ones still swiming as with all my flatheads i release all of them

3. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    the 42 flattie was eaten ecause i was raised that way ,then i found out there are different ways to do this my 40 lb blue is swimming along with numerous other big fish i have caught tihs said if i want one to eat i will keep it i spend alot of money and time doing this for fun and pleasure so it is my choice as to what to do with the fish i catch not trying to start trouble i don,t eat cat fish but 1 or 2 times a year

4. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Great post Mark!!! The big channel in my avatar and many many like it are still swimming and growing!! Let em go let em grow!!! :cool2:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  5. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    I had the pleasure of personally lettn this one go to grow! WINK! It was a huge rush. Now, with that said, We kept and ate Raysplay's fish. We had two great get togethers off of him and gave away some of what was left of him to a family that we knew needed it

6. tha ''GUTBUCKET''

tha ''GUTBUCKET'' New Member

State:
    GASTONIA,NC WYLIE
    then i found out there are different ways to do this
    GLAD YOU FOUND A DIFFERNT WAY:big_smile:

if i want one to eat i will keep it
    GOT NO PROBLEM WITH THAT:wink:

spend alot of money and time doing this for fun and pleasure so it is my choice as to what to do with the fish i catch

I AGREE ON THE $$$$$$$$$ BUT I'VE FOUND IT TO BE CHEAPER AND LESS CLEAN UP IF I GO OUT TO THE FISH CAMPS IN THE AREA:wink::smile2::big_smile:

not trying to start trouble
    NO OFFENSE TAKEN, GLAD YOU REPLIED:crazy:

7. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    The one in my avatar was released. I release all the cats I catch over 10 pounds. If I want eating fish then I target eater size (1 to 5 lbs) channels and blues. I have cleaned a few big fish before, but not in several years. I don't have a problem with folks cleaning and eating big fish, it is the ones that haul them around in the back of the pickup to show them off until they are ruined that tick me off.

8. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
  9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You know mine was released GUTBUCKET, as have ALL the avatars I have ever had.

:wink:

As a matter of fact, GUTBUCKET and myself caught that fish in a tournament this past weekend. We did not have a live well big enough (becuase I was slack), so instead of killing it, which BTW we could have since it was a "dead or alive" tournament, we decided to release it.

Nice avatar Bowlerman and GUTBUCKET. Looks like a professional photographer took those pictures!!!

:smile2:

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Still swimming the only fish I really like to eat are the flatheads that are about 2 or 3 pounds, and thats only like 2 or 3 times a year.

11. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    The BOC has taught me to be a better fisherman, and a even better SPORTSMAN. Since I have joined the BOC, I haved VOWED to release all catfish over 10 pounds.
    Since I like fish better than meat. I too keep the smaller ones to eat.

12. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    The 55.5 flathead in my pix was killed cause of the way my father gaffed him. in stead of just getting her through the bottom lip the gaff went in to its brain. the only way i keep a fish that big is if something like that happens i prefer to keep 10s and less for table fare. any thing over 10 takes to much time and effort to clean and the meat most the time is chewy. Also if the fish would not have gotten gaffed like that it would be in my pond just like the 20s and 30 i have in my pond now

13. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Still swimming as is all big fish I catch,including my PB best 53 lber.Pics and memories last a lifetime,the taste of one last a very short period of time.:confused2:
    Actually I enjoy Catfishing the most out of all freshwater fishing,but catfish is my least favorite freshwater fish to eat.I would much rather have a good plate of Striper,Crappie,Bream,Perch over Catfish:wink:
    Good thread Mark and welcome to the BOC belated.:big_smile:

14. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    if I want to eat fish it is useally crappie. all catfish big and small I throw back. giveaway the ones that wont make it. never had a big one die on me.

15. littlejomojo

littlejomojo New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    ate this avater and it tasted delicious i usually keep 3to5 pounders for eating but sometimes i got no fish to eat so ill keep one this size to satisfy my fish cravings :002: i probably keep to eat less then 10% of what i catch

16. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    all my fish are released. i dont eat much fish and if i do my wife catches some small eaters on her secret-7. my fish never stay out of the water more than a couple of minutes.

17. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    The one in my avitar was cpr'd in April. Could have ended up riding around on a tailgate since then. Christie and I tend to keep fish out of our 3 ponds if we want fish to eat.

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    swimming i hope i put it back within a couple min.

19. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    I release all the 10+ lbs catfish, I eat very little catfish and prefer the taste of farm raised. Once in awhile I will have a friend who wants a mess of fish so if I catch a few smaller cats I will keep them. The last 2 times I have done this I ended up having to clean the fish for him, if he was old or unable to do it would not bother me a bit to do it but he knows how. The last few time he has asked for fish I told him didn't catch anything ( I had a slump there for about a month ), just figure before it was all over I would be frying the for him too LOL. Back to the topic although I don't keep many I think some do need to be taken out of rivers and lakes to help keep all the fish strong and health, but there is a limit to how many should be keep, reckon that where management comes in the picture. But remember all the small ones we keep can grow up to be monsters, the big ones today are going to die at some point and we need fish to be there years from now as well. I wonder how many times some of the big old fish have been caught, never heard of any type of tagging on cats, does anyone know if it has been done.

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    MY aviatar fish the picture was taken bankside and released, I release all my fish at the spot they were taking.

Now the aviatars with people holding fish in there drive ways, or yards, or living rooms, I would bet those fish are dead.