avarage depth at lake wylie dam?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by daredevle, Jan 11, 2009.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hello fellow BOC members before i ask my question i like to say thank you guys who gave me wonderfull tips on homemade slip corks if it wasent for you guys this thread would not have been possible thank you.:wink:
    any way as you can tell by my title i am wishing to know what the avarage water depth is at the lake wylie dam the one that feeds to the cawtaba river i have got all the equiepment ready just need to know depth to set my slip corks at i greatly apprecieate any help thank you so much my fellow BOC members:wink:

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, I have never actually fished there, but my chart shows a depth of about 40'. Someone else more familiar with the lake will probably jump in here and prove me wrong, though. :wink:

3. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    that part of wylie near the dam isn't very big , it goes from the 20's to the 60's not much deeper , not to discourage you but there aint a whole lot that goes on near that dam, you may catch some fish but if you go to some of the feeder creeks and drift those out and around the main lake you will do much better, but that is just my opinion ,you never know till you try :big_smile: if i fish there i stay well back from it and drift the old river channell going from one side over the edge up over the flatt then zig back the other way , most the fish i catch are on the 20' flatts or right on the drop into the old river bed

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Most of the water around the dam runs about 55-65ft and as bowlerman says it is not that big of an area,the deepest I can remember marking there was around 75ft in the river channel and thats been many years ago,I dont spend much time down that way when I fish Wylie so I cant be more precise on that,I am sure there are some deeper spots along the old river channel,just not familiar with them.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    They were working on the Wylie dam last week and had divers down. A man told me that one of the divers came up and said.............

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Man, I can hardly wait to hear the rest of the story. hehe

7. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    are those depths 50 to 65 for below the dam also? probley not though what is the average depth below the dam

8. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    right against the dam maybe 20' but everywhere else 5' with the water running, you can walk across the river below the dam when the water ain't running, but it gets real swift when it comes on , there has been alot of drownings below the dam in past years

9. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yeah i heard about that i would never walk across that area all thos rocks and then you cant see, never ever not me thanks for the info guys