Auto Pilot Trolling Motors

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Sonny Kemp, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Im not sure this is the right place for this but if not please move. Id like to hear some opinions on auto pilot trolling motors.Do yall use them in rivers with a good bit of current and how responsive are they?What is the best brand?Will they hold a constant speed for drifting in current?Ive heard pros and cons and would like to hear from people that have actually used one. Thanks :confused2:

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Sonny i have a 75lb thrust riptide on my boat with the autopilot an remote control feature an when using either it works great to me .It is nice out on the river to set it up an beale to do something else in the boat ,with just checking on it at times instead of having ti steer it all the time

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Sonny,
    I use mine all the time for drifting on rivers and lakes. Wouldn't use any other kind now.
    I am upgrading to a Terrova soon with the remote control. Looking forward to that...W

4. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I have a terrova 80 lb and absolutely love it. I don't know how I ever drifted without it!! It was always a full time job with the old motorguide I had. Way too much work!!!:wink::smile2: I merely point it in the direction I want and set the speed and forget about it (until my lines get snagged LOL). They are expensive but worth it.

5. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Is there a big difference in the powerdrive v2 and the terrova?Do the built in transducers work well?Iknow Im asking a lot of questions but dang thats a lot of money for an old man that has to work everyday for a living.:big_smile:

6. afishpatrol

afishpatrol New Member

State:
    indiana
    minkota auto pilot 80lb thrust with remote. great on the rivers but trolling resivours its the bomb, i use the big motor for thrust and the trolling motor for steering, troll all day from anywhere in the boat. not as responsive as cable steer but i'l take that for being able to move about the boat.

7. striper steve

striper steve New Member

State:
    south carolina
    fished alot with a friend that has a powerdrive v2/autopiolot. to me its great, especially on windy days. minnkota also just came out with a new autopilot system(not sure of the name, i-pilot maybe) thats linked to gps. you can save trails and it will repeat them up to 2 miles, has a virtual anchor setting that will keep the boat in a 5ft area. lost of other cool stuff as well. not sure how it would work for cats but for stripers it sounds great. the autopilots now are based on a electronic compass that works good but it wont adjust for sidedrift, the new system is suppose to. the cost of the new system is about 400$ stand alone, havent seen one factory installed so i dont know about with the trolling motor. personally ive got a powerdrive v2 with the copilot(remote control) its nice but you only have set speeds, hopeing to get a autopilot for mine soon. kinda waiting to see some reviews on the new system before i decide which. hope this helps.

8. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've got a 55# saltwater Minn Kota Riptide with autopilot and remote control. I used it earlier this week below the dam at Kentucky Lake. I would set it in the direction I wanted it to go and actually had time to fish for skipjack in the faster water. Once in a while you would have to adjust it as far as speed and direction. The water was so unstable below the dam that there was a lot of eddies and current. I really didn't expect it to control as well as it did in that kind of conditions. The new controls that just came out, look like they would really be sweet. Just don't know whether or not I could justify the $400 price tag.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Whats the price for the terrova?

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I think the Powerdrives max out at 70lbs, while the Terrova goes on up to 101lbs. Minnkota is pretty proud of their deployment system on the Terrova as being an improvement over the Powerdrive. And the Terrova allows you to turn AutoPilot on and off with the remote control, while you have to press a button on the head of the Powerdrive.

I've used both quite a bit this year, and don't see the Terrova being worth the extra $$$, but if you need a trolling motor bigger than 70lbs you really only have one choice.

The built in transducers seem to work just fine with my buddy's Lowrance.

11. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i have the power drive 70 with the co/ap man you talk about a great uint. if your drift fishing, its just the best thing , ive pulled my lund deep v all day on the lake.

12. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    so with the auto pilot motors once you point it in the direction you want it will self adjust to stay on course? i have a motorguide wireless that you have to babysit to stay on a line but i figured the autopilot units were thee same way,, tell me they will keep the boat on line without babysitting it and i will have one by friday!!:wink:

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Adam, That's the deal with autopilot, it has a built in compass and it steers itself to stay on course. Now current and wind can cause some sideways drift, all that autopilot really does is keep you pointed in the right direction, but it's an awesome improvement over regular trolling motors. You spend a lot less time steering the boat, and you can do other things (like land a fish) without going off course or spinning in a circle.

The new, just hitting the market upgrade to autopilot is the I-Pilot. Instead of a compass, it has built in GPS and it can adjust for wind and current, as well as cruise control where it adjusts and maintains a set speed, and an electronic anchor that will let you hover in one place.

I've been more than happy with my autopilot, not sure if I will bother with the I-Pilot upgrade.

14. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    thanks sooo much gary.. i dont know much about the trolling motor technology so you helped me a bunch!!!! looks like i got a motorguide for sale!!!!:wink:

15. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    :cool2:You dug up some good information on your post. Thanks

16. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Just got a minnkota riptide st 80#. Auto pilot is awesome. Just set it and fish. You half to adjust a little but only a small fraction compared to a cable steer.

17. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Thanks everyone for the replies.I have one enroute.I really appreciate the help. Sonny

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009