Auto Pilot Trolling Motor

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by COB, Feb 21, 2006.

1. COB

COB New Member

State:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks to Shilo and others I am convinced that I want an auto pilot MK motor. I need 74# and 54" shaft. These things sell for ~$900. In all my web surfing I have found these two opportunities. They are the right size, and identical except #1 has a wired Co-pilot which runs around $70.

1, One year old, low hours, excellent condition with one year remaining on the warranty. $700 or make offer. This one is probably in Wisconson.

2. Brand new, but 2-3 years old never removed from MK shipping box. This motor was a free replacement motor for the MK Genesis recall program (Genesis was the real famcy $1400 motor that had autopilot, auto lift, but was a terrible reliability problem) and the fellow never installed it. No warranty. He justs ask to make an offer. This one is in GA about 6 hours drive.

What would you do?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Cob, I don't think I would want it unless it was wireless, which is what I have. Of course, if you get a good deal, you could add the wireless later if you wanted to.
    The one in the box sounds like a good deal, depending on what price you can get it for. I would say $750 or less.

Be certain the shaft length is ok for your boat!

3. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    i know they have came a long way,i :sad: had a wireless motor guide when they first came out and had nothing but problems with it,from not turning when you wanted to,to not stopping when you wanted to

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I sure like mine. ITs nice to be drifting in the current and set the auto pilot and dip a fish or re rig or bait or eat. and let the TM take over.
    But it does take a little while to get used to it. I hope to add the wireless to mine this summer and get rid of the foot controle.
    Pete

5. COB

COB New Member

State:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks guys. I got the new in box one with universal sonar. I think I got a good deal at $500 for Cabela's had them for $800-900. Man this semi-retirement and fishing is getting expensive. But grandma is happy!! Now I have to work a few extra hours to plan on the CoPilot.

6. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    I love my riptide with auto pilot/wireless remote.I can tell you one thing if it is on auto pilot and every once in a while it makes a sharp turn(90deg) you have a battery going bad.So don't be like me and think it is just a fluke happing every now and then.You will go out someday and it will just stop working.

7. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I was shopping this weekend at basspro and almost got the 70lb with 20'cord and can add the wireless feature for about 150$ Do you use the autopilot feature for working the shoreline most, or just maintaining a straight line or hold in the river current? I like the wireless feature, but the autopilot does have my interest. I fish the Mississippi the most, but also a local lake. The minnkota rep was at basspro and said that it had a 2 to 3 year warrenty. My biggest concern (other than cost) is getting it fixed when there is a problem. Hannibal Mike

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I use the auto pilot in the current when frift fishing. Set it and fish. I can bait up rerig or dip a fish and the boat is taken care of.
    Now I do have to touch the controles some. But just to straighten up when its off some.
    It does a great job..
    Pete