Auto mechanics?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by whiskerchaser, Aug 18, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Is anyone here any type of mechanic or welder? I am taking a class in highschool for mechanics and welding I have never done either one but am really into cars lol any tips from anyone here on the boc? whether u r a mechanic or welder or was or even no's anything about it i need all the tips i can get lol also what would be a good project that wouldnt be too expensive cuz we have to buy all our own materials. Also would there be any things i need to wear when doing these two things? this is what my teachers told me. I will list them under mechanics and welding

MECHANICS

1. pair of coveralls not baggy
    2. pair of safety glasses or goggles
    3. pair of leather gloves
    4. Steel toe boots
    5. keep all clothes not baggy

WELDING

1. welding gloves
    2. coveralls i will use the same pair
    3. safety glasses
    4. the teacher provides the welding helmet.
    5. also wear clothes that arent baggy
    6. wear cheap clothes.

Any other tips guys anything else i need to buy? How much would all this be it sounds kinda expensive.

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Your gonna need some good hand cleaner and a nail brush.

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i am a mechanic, James. feel free to ask any questions you want.
    looks to me like nuts and bolts are going to be hard to turn wearing gloves.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

What size boot do you need? I have a pair of metatarsal boots That I wore for about 10 hours.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Instead of using cloth cover alls for welding you may want to get a leather apron and sleeves. to protect you and your clothing from being burnt.

6. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    thanks guys still open to tips. and im gonna check on those boots i wear a 10 1/2 to 11.

7. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico

yeah they probably will be i think they are mostly for like oil changing though i think.

8. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey James I spent my highschool years as an aspiring mechanic. Got out worked in a couple shops pay sucked got into plumbing pay was good. Now adays the the auto mechanics up here are makin good coin the rate of pay shot through the roof cause of a shortage of certifiead machanics now I am second guessing my decision:doubt:

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    those rubber exam gloves can be benificial to your skin by keeping used motor oil and grease off your hands and you can easily use your fingers to start nuts and bolts wearing them.

a good welding project for you could be a rod holder for bank fishing
    maybe jw could post a diagram of his and you could duplicate or
    use some of your own ideas to enhance or improve on his design.

i love welding .
    watch getting flash burned (eyes)
    if you wake up with your eyes burning take a potatoe and slice sections to place on your eyes if you have to use a strip of cloth to tie a blindfold
    holding them in place do it and it will remove the sting.

a inexpensive project for mechanics is a lawn mower .
    i can help you with quite a bit on briggs and techumseh
    if you get an old briggs 3.5 hp mower you can disassemble it and put new seals,points,gaskets,and carb kit in for about 20.00-30.00 and have a
    running motor that you brought back to life .
    it will allow you to learn about the techniques in disassembly and reassembly ,torque specs, learn about how a 4 cycle engine gets it name
    and get an idea of how a carburator works.

people get rid of mowers all the time.
    theres a bunch of us here that would be glad to help you.
    just ask.

10. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico

LoL that must suck I feel for u. and thanks DRC i will probably do the lawnmower engine do u think somehow u can get me a diagram of how to disasemble and assemble? lol thanks a lot.

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Am A CMAT (Certfied Master Auto Technician), As Well As A Certified Welder, IF I Can Assist You With Anything Please Feel Free To PM Me.

Have A Good Day, Elliot

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Flannel shirts smolder.You need goggles while welding,chipping and grinding as chipping and grinding is a part of welding.Hot sparks,slag and metal particles are all part of the job.Goggles will seal off your eyes and very possibly save a eye.Safety glasses just cover most,but not all of the entry points.Also ear plugs for hammering,chipping guns,tools,AND ear protection from hot slag and sparks.I had a hot particle burn a hole in my eardrum while welding.I won;t go in to what it takes to remove it.Protect your eyes and lungs.Many OLD WELDERS have eye and lung trouble from being careless during their career.Fumes can and do kill.Always THINK before and during each job.Always Clean,clear and barricade your work area.Others can be and often are a danger to you and themselves.You cannot watch your work and keep a lookout at the same time.Always use a "Fire watch" when needed.Any containers are potential bombs.Heat can drive and release fumes from any improperly cleaned container.Welding is as safe or as dangerous as a firearm.It is up to you.I welded in paper mills and chemical plants.Be safe.Unsafe welders can injure and kill along with burning down the joint.Bad welds can be dangerous.Peoples lives will depend on the quality of your work and how safely you do it.There is a HUGE responsibility that goes along with the job.NEVER forget it! I wish you the best of luck.I am a 61 year old former welder.Please copy this and ask your instructor to read this as they will be able to see and tell you what I missed that would apply to you.Always ask them and try your best to learn everything that they know and can teach you.That is what they are there for.They will enjoy teaching you as much as you enjoy learning.New metals.New rods and new ways of welding are coming along about as fast as and with the help of electronics and computers.We can weld in space and the bottom of the ocean.We now "WELD"all types of material.We now have methods that stretch the term "Welding"to the very limits.Welding is now a space age occupation.Keep up or get left behind.peewee-williams