Auto Mechanics advice

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Drawout, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Ok i need some tips if anyone has any. Heres the deal I have a 1979 chevy pickup truck with a 400 transmission, It will not stay in park it has caused my truck to take a dip in the lake 2 times now and i need some advice on how to fix this.

2. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    1, check linkage on tranny. 2, put pontoons under truck. :big_smile: 3. why did you pull it out of the water the 2nd time? :crazy:

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    now that's mean:lol:

probably just linkage adjustment. could be a steering column problem not holding the shifter. unlikely to be a parking pawl problem, which is internal in the tranny.

4. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    hey greg #2 sounds good, will you help?

5. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    like was said, it is probably linkage related. I would try to disconnect the linkage at the trans. and shift it into park with your hand right at the linkage. then try to shove the truck around. If it doesn't move, then you got linkage problems. Parking pawls usually don't give trouble, but they are uually either good or bad. They don't give intermittent trouble I don't think. PM transman, he's got a tranny shop in FL and can help you out! hope this helps see ya