Australian catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Dick Pasfield, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Dick Pasfield

Dick Pasfield New Member

State:
    Wester Australia
    G’day all

I came across this site and thought you may like to hear about catfish from Australia. Firstly and foremost I should mention that catfish are not the iconic species they are in other parts of the world. Often they are considered a pest species or at least second prize. Having said that a few anglers do appreciate them for what they are if they get a large one as an incidental catch and even a very few anglers do actually target them.

In northern Australia we’re lucky enough to have two reasonably large species, both get just above 20kgs (50lb) and over the metre (40 inches) in length. One, Arius midgleyi or the shovel nosed catfish is a freshwater fish and is the target of a small commercial fishery on a lake locally. The other Arius thalassinus or golden catfish is an estuarine fish but can be found offshore as well.

I mainly target the shovel nosed variety as I live next to a freshwater lake. The fish is a prolific lure taker, either bibbed minnows run nice and deep or a surface lure blooped slowly across the surface of the water of a night work well on the fish. Dark nights with no moon are the best and a lure with a bit of luminescence gets plenty of attention when the fish are on the chew.

Our catfish have three very sharp spines, one in their dorsal fin and both pectoral fins. These are serrated and covered in a slime that causes some extreme aggravation to the wound, likely the reason the fish are so maligned here. The pain is intense and can last for hours. Hot water treatment brings instant relief fortunately.

I’ve attached a few pics - The fish on the mat is just on the metre. The one the young fella is holding is a golden catfish. The one I’m holding (I’ve got the rod in my mouth) was caught on a small lure meant for a much smaller and different fish. Note the small fish that took a lure inside the gob of the larger fish, catfish will hit anything moving, even smaller catties. Also included a few pics of different lures I use.

Hope this has been of interest to you.

Regards Dick

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      22.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      38.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      23 KB
      Views:
  2. Dick Pasfield

Dick Pasfield New Member

State:
    Wester Australia
    Heres a few more of those piss and...........................

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      24.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      29.5 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      41.2 KB
      Views:

3. Dick Pasfield

Dick Pasfield New Member

State:
    Wester Australia
    ..........one more.

Cheers everyone

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      41.3 KB
      Views:
  4. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    thanks for the great article on those shovelnose catfish dick. those things look like they would be a blast to fish for with artificial lures. and, they get to a good fighting size as a plus.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Dick,
    That is some interesting stuff. I see you are in WA.I have some rellies who live near Perth and are always inviting me over. Maybe it's time to pay them a visit...W

6. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Mate!
    "Thanks" for sharing your info and pics:cool2:

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Thank you.

Very interesting to see how we much we revere the catfish and all over the world they worship the carp:eek:oooh:.

8. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Very cool.

Welcome!

9. Dick Pasfield

Dick Pasfield New Member

State:
    Wester Australia
    G'day metalman, sorry to say Perth is 36 hours drive to the south of us and the biggest catfish down there is about a couple of lb. They do have plenty of other fish as compensation but the river systems are rather small in comparison the the north of Australia.

Blacky, European carp are our worst introduced aquatic pest, thankfully for us up here they are only in the south eastern river systems of the country. Tilapia could end up being a bigger pest though.

Been reading a few of the threads, jugging sounds interesting, will any of your catties hit a lure or is it all bait fishing or grabbing them out of a hole (whatdo you do about the crocs/gators??)?

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Dick welcome to the BOC and thank you showing the pic's.

11. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    your a bloody redneck.i like it redneck catfisherman are all over the world

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Welcome to the BOC,, Them cats are some neat looking fish , they have longer,wider fins than the cats here that size. Catching them on topwaters at night would be blast for me too..I've seen cats caught on spinners and rattle-traps, but never on top,,NICE..:cool2:

13. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    G'day mate, our best friends live just north of milbourn and when they came over here,we had a big Catfish and hush puppie dinner.they had never eaten a catfish. but hell I have never had shrimp on the barby.anyway cool off some beer and find out what makes us yankees tick.and thankx mate for stoppin in.rep points for the trip.
    smokey

14. 07_hemi_thunderroad

07_hemi_thunderroad New Member

State:
    north caro
    thanks for the great post!

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    thanks for the story and the pics.dont be a stranger keep them coming.as for crocs and gators we dont have crocs here where im at and the gators dont seem to bother people.

16. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Lure fishing for cats isn't common but is doable. US Catfish tend to feed based on scent and that is the solid advantage you have by fishing bait.

Now I find the whole croc deal interesting. Don't know if I'd reach into the water with some aquatic monster holding down a jug and consciously try to grab it the line near the monster's jaws.

might alter the equation of who's fishing for who!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

17. Dick Pasfield

Dick Pasfield New Member

State:
    Wester Australia
    Thanks for the comments fellas, been off air for a while, something about 17 kilometres of optic cable disappearing downstream when a river broke its banks. Flooding across the north of Oz while the southern half if burnt to a crisp. Very sad that one.

18. Dick Pasfield

Dick Pasfield New Member

State:
    Wester Australia
    PS jolie, sometimes you can't help but catch them. Both released, luckily the sallty did that himself

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      32.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      20.7 KB
      Views:
  19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That guy in the first pic looks awfully upset. :wink: Cool pics. Thanks for posting, and glad to see you on the forum. Welcome to the BOC, by the way.

20. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ".....grabbing them out of a hole (whatdo you do about the crocs/gators??)? "

No crocs here mate, just some gators down south; I don't know how common/popular noodlin' is in gator waters, maybe someone who knows can comment.

Good pics, good info Dick. Thanks for posting/sharing. Those Australian catfish are very interesting. Are they good eating?