August bite is on at smithville

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by nkccatman, Aug 4, 2009.

1. nkccatman

nkccatman New Member

State:
    mo
    Went out last sat night and got 4 channels over 10 and one 15 pound flatty and a few other small ones.Caught channels on shad and flatty on live sunfish.All in 6 ft of water along shoreline.What a difference a week made wasnt getting hardly even a bite the weekend before.

2. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Nice to hear. I think it's starting to really pick up everywhere:big_smile:

3. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the report Wade. Last weekend was a little slow......

4. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    and banked several dinks in the afternoon and yeah I fed a ton of babies in the process.

Sunday kept one eater and couldn't even keep bait on the hooks. The wind drove me batsh-- all day long Sunday but it's a good switch from the past few days!

Hope it holds out for awhile. Likely it will.

5. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    Your guys reports got me coming up. My buddy has caught two flattys this week already, one each night. Ill be out all night on saturday hopefully I can have some of the same luck. Changed my advatar picture over to some smithville fish i caught earlier in the year. Everyonce in a while I have to stop in and show burton some real fish, because all he ever seems to be into is bass and crappie!

6. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Yep, that Gary seems to be stuck on hooking those baitfish don't he? Guess it's bout time to start hittin the lake again; sometimes it's nice to take a break from the river for a night.

7. nkccatman

nkccatman New Member

State:
    mo
    Yeah He likes the bass and crappie but glad he is there otherwise id have to go outta my way to get minnows.The wife usally goes fishing with me and loves to catch crappie when i get the crappie light fired up at night:big_smile:

8. thecowboysheart

thecowboysheart New Member

State:
    Mo.
    I have been going to Smithville for the past three week about 3 times a week at different times. I have been to the spillway and different coves and have only caught one cat that only weighed out at about 4#. I was using BeeJay with that one I have also used cut bait, blood bait, liver and some other assorted thing people say to try. I am up or any kind of help that you smart folks can offer up. So feel free to give me any ideas...

Gary "thecowboysheart"

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Gary.

10. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    I dont know where exactly your fishing at out there but all I can say is stick with it. There are many nice fish caught below the spillway, it mostly depends on how much water they are running at the time, and how much water they have been running in present days. The bite seems to just now be starting to heat up on the lake so some of your misfortune could just be bad timeing. I know i have some good holes out there and they havent been producing much yet. Depending on the depth of water your fishing in you might need to suspend your bait off the bottom a little bit, with this warm weather comes a thermocline. Try to catch you some live perch for bait, the cats up there love them and you just might get you a big ol flathead!, next would come shad and livers. If its not windy out toss the liver out with no weight on it let it float to the bottom, the smaller ones love it and somtimes it produces bites very fast. Good luck fishing and welcome to the BOC.

11. nkccatman

nkccatman New Member

State:
    mo
    Going out around 8 tonight if anybody wants to go?

12. nkccatman

nkccatman New Member

State:
    mo
    Leaving now and will be at hyway W boatramp at 8 in a blue boat with rails on side and white gmc truck.

13. swamplvr

swamplvr New Member

State:
    Western Mo
    Plan on giving it a go tonight myself probably will take the oldest daughter with me. If you see this boat up there (PolarCraft) come on by and BS

[​IMG]

14. swamplvr

swamplvr New Member

State:
    Western Mo
    3 hours of fishing 4 drifts pretty successful. cleaned 5 from 4lbs to about 2lbs. Two fish in the boat in the first 5min all on shad, several pan sized sent back mix of channels and blues. Wind died after the first drift, TM needed to keep it above .8mph without the sock. Fish caught in 6 to 22 most from 17 to 20 ft, all on shad hooked through the eye one side filleted off. No rod benders but enough action to keep a person baiting, casting, letting out line, moving rods, operating the TM and keeping the kids happy.

[​IMG]

15. cats only

cats only New Member

State:
    missouri
    Does anyone know of some good spots to locate shad on the lake?

16. swamplvr

swamplvr New Member

State:
    Western Mo
    dependent on wind I have found campbranch marina cove and the crowes creek access ramp area hold shad. If one does not have them the other will. Crowes creek on S winds, CampBranch on N winds. Nice thing about CC access you can pull up see the shad from the top of the ramp launch the boat and net them. Seems that they hold best at CampBranch between the inside ramp and the boat docks. If you see a bunch of the herons on the boat docks you know the shad are in there.

17. nkccatman

nkccatman New Member

State:
    mo
    I have been able to load up on shad in almost any cove that has some deeper water in it and have seen blue cats on surface lately chasing them around.Posting a pic of a few a caught all on shad, snapped the pic then released them back for another day.

Attached Files:

18. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Lotta shad by the free ramp,but most in the 3 inch range.Have had over 5" of rain the last 24 hrs....not sure if they are still there.

19. Colinkem

Colinkem New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Moved up here for school and I dont have a boat so i was wondering if it would be worth bank fishing for cats, if so where?

20. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Camp Branch Marina cove---Years ago when I lived in KC after I lost my boat in a divorce etc., I needed a bank to fish and after a year of searching I found the camp branch marina bank, at the west end, there are some trees threr, the lake channel used to come over to it, but anyway, there is a shallowpoint there, the catties come up out from under the marina in the evening and its almost always, in the evening and in hte early morning, its been years since I've fished it but it was awsome and regular for some good fish, the largest was a 21 1/2 lb blue and a 12 lb channel, the rest were just good eaters:big_smile: