Auglaize/Maumee

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by bigfish83, Sep 3, 2009.

1. bigfish83

bigfish83 New Member

State:
    lima ohio
    So my friend and i went and fished the auglaize tonight down river of the power dam and where the auglaize dumps into the maumee. We fished the same places we fished 8/27 in which we caught over 20 catfish with the biggest being a 26" 8 lb channel. We had 3 bites the whole time tonight and used the same bait; liver, cut shad, cut gill and shrimp. So my question is what made the difference? Was it that there was a front approaching 8/27 that we did so well? Or that the river was down a foot this time and we've had high pressure and cold temperatures since saturday? btw this is my first thread and i'm trying to figure all this out, thanks for the input everyone.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    First off, welcome to the BoC!
    I believe a front did approach on 8/27 - 8/28.
    When the river is down fish tend to move around a lot more than when the river is up, I personally hate fishing when the river is low. This year hasn't really given us very many opportunities to actually fish a good current. Bank fishing is usually a gamble because of this. I've learned to know which spots produce well when the river is up, and which spots do well it's down.

I've found eddys work really well when the river is low, if you have any spots with whitewater/riffles, try fishing right outside of that. This usually does well for me too.

But the fishing I've been doing lately has consisted of fishing deep holes and using what current is available on the Ohio River. It's been doing pretty well, last time we went out it was really slow as far as catching fish - but I'm blaming that on it being so bright outside (was full moon).

3. bigfish83

bigfish83 New Member

State:
    lima ohio
    thanks for the reply, i was also looking at the flow at the power dam on the day i fished and seen it went up drastically and down drastically in about a days time, and i don't think there was any rain. So does anyone know if the auglaize power dam changes the amount of water it lets out which would cause the fish to feed more heavily?

4. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    not sure on the flow from the dam. We fished the defiance dam a few weeks ago and didn't do well at all. I'm heading back to lima tonight, and i'm trying to get my brother and a couple friends to hit the m\aumee, but we may end up in defiance. Live gills and shrimp are usually my best bets, if you get out tonight, msg me on here, I'll be up that way.

5. bigfish83

bigfish83 New Member

State:
    lima ohio
    hey kory, took me a minute to figure out who you were. How ya been? I'll be out at the bars tonight lol. I'd def go out fishin with ya sometime tho, i usually go 4-5 nights a week, mostly catfish. I'll send ya my # through a pm or myspace. Good luck

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    full moon, it ruins the fishing everytime.

7. bigfish83

bigfish83 New Member

State:
    lima ohio
    Went fishing last night in the wind between the Auglaize power dam and the maumee river. I knew the fish would be biting because they were releasing water from the dam. Bite was ok not great, caught 8 or 9 channels in ab 4 hours. Missed quite a few fish. Caught a 22", 24" and 26" channel. Also caught my very first flathead, at 30" long, i was pretty excited. All fish were caught on liver and cut shad and cpr'd. Sorry for the picture quality my digi camera recently broke so they're cell phone pics. btw, what does a 30" flat usually weigh? He seemed pretty healthy and thick.

Attached Files:

8. bigfish83

bigfish83 New Member

State:
    lima ohio
    This, was supposed to be a new post lol, how do i start a new one?

9. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Welcome to the site an thanks for the post

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    im with jack but there are loads of thing that effect the fishing. flow is one of my best predictors. catch the river on a rise for thew first time in a while and you are(almost always) on fish. cold fronts and pressure dont affect rivers, as much as they do lakes/reservoirs, so i dont pay them much mind these days. give me a killer rain that creates a big mudline bulge out in front of a feeder creek/river and im going to be there! the "whys" and "what ifs" make fishing a sport brother.:wink:

11. sgt_132

sgt_132 New Member

State:
    N-W Ohio
    I fished the maumee on the 25th and the 26th. Friday the 25 I caught 2 shovel head 16lb & 14lb. The only two bites I had. Sat the 26 I fished 9 hrs. Never had a bite. I was fishing from my boat. I moved a lot till I caught the 2 shovel head. I fish down towards Grand Rapids. Hope some day I can get with you. Later Scott