Atwood/Tappan

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Powerman2442, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Powerman2442

Powerman2442 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anyone catch anything decent?

Fished at Atwood for a night, nothing but a few small rock bass and some crayfish. Girlfriend caught a small 6 - 7 inch catfish she saw swimming near shore.

Been to Tappan for about 4 days and 3 night and have had no luck other than some sunfish, perch, etc. No bass or cats.

Has anyone in the Ohio area had any luck fishing anywhere around here?

I managed to pull in two 2 foot cats from the Tuscarawas River both of which ended up snapping my line. (I got over-zealous) One was right on the water line when it snapped it and slipped out of my girlfriend's brother's hands. The other was about 10 feet from shore, could see him clearly with the 5 Coleman lanterns, and he was bigger than the first (Which was clearly 2 foot+) and it snapped the line.

Other than that the only thing I have been catching is rock bass and some odd-ball things. Nothing worth bragging about. Anyone have luck at Atwood or Tappen, or any other fishing areas?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Yep it sounds like you are catching the same thing as most other Ohio members. Hang in there, the cats will turn back on. Sounds like you all had some fun, keep us updated of future outings.

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    welcome to the boc

4. Powerman2442

Powerman2442 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    brother hilljack - Yeah at least when we go out camping it is fun just to keep each other company. Usually it is me, my girlfriend, her two (or four) brothers, her mom, step-dad, dad, and her dad's girlfriend. So we usually have a crowd out fishing.

hunted - Thanks I found it while searching for info about the Zebco 600 I caught... lol.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27458

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    welcome to the brotherhood

6. Powerman2442

Powerman2442 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks, originally joined to get more information about that Zebco 600, but after searching around I think I might stay and join in on some of the conversation. Fairly new to fishing, although having fished since elementary school, my dad never really had time to do much with me or my brother since he worked midnights. Within the past two years I've gotten back into fishing, but I am far from being "good" at it.

I have a fairly good idea on the basics. Like what time to catch certain fish, where to catch them at, etc. I'd like to find a "favorite fishing spot" one of these days. With all the stormy weather today me and my girlfriend got kind of got hung up on our plans to go fishing today. Ran to Wal*Mart to get the cheap rain-coats when I got tired of waiting by the time we got to where we needed to go it stopped raining and was already 9:00.

Got my girlfriend set up and ready to fish, got my two lines and took some small fish off her hook for a few minutes. Next thing I know she was snagged. Walked over and played with it a bit, snapped her line, next thing I know I hear a "chink" sound. Look over and my pull lunges towards the pond. Run over grab it and there had to be a nice sized cat on it. Wouldn't know cause, again, it snapped my line. Even had bait alert on and anti reverse off. Was pulling my line out like crazy but still snapped it. Thinking of buying new line, anyone recommend a brand? Can only go up to 10 lb. with my reels. Once I have it in my budget I'll invest in a nice cat rod/reel.

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Welcome aboard and remember, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

8. Powerman2442

Powerman2442 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Finally found a job today. Might be in my budget to invest in a good catfish rod/reel within the next week or two. Just a Shakespeare rod/reel combo from Wal*Mart though. But it will be better than my current one.:big_smile:

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Those walmart combos are great for channel catfishing. Most of us started that way. If you are close to Gander Mountain in North Canton, check out the Okuma Fin Chaser Combos. Only around $40 but well worth it.

10. Powerman2442

Powerman2442 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I live in Tuscarawas county in the Dover/Phila area. I will look into it though. Usually the only time I go to Canton is for the restaurants. Golden Carral, etc.