Atwood Lake

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ranman92, Apr 27, 2008.

1. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    We have a neocats tourney at atwood this week any help with good fishing spots would be greatly appreciated. I fished ther only once and that was last years tourney which I think we took 4th or 5th place with about 4 fish right around 15 lbs if I remember quickly. Two bad things happened ther though are only fish of the year died and it was a 5lb fish so we had to throw that one back it was crazy to cuz the fish didn't seem hurt at all and we had no trouble getting the hook out. Then about 30 minutes before the weigh in I was half asleep and I got this huge hit and fought the thing all the way up to the boat. Got him up he dove to the bottom and I got him up again he dove to the bottom again and this time something happened I can't ever remeber happening to me before. The fish got off and I reeled my line up and it looked like my knot didn't hold I couldn't believe I tied a bad knot. I was furious cuz this fish fought HARD if I was guessing I would say it was definitely 8 lbs at least. Oh well just another fishing story that I have, hopefully the water is warm down there and I appreciate any help THANKS THE BOC RULES.

2. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    See you at the tourney Randy. I'm in the same boat that you are. I've never fished Atwood at all!! I'm hoping to atleast catch a fish there so I can say I did better than Findley!!:big_smile:

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    We're going to see more and larger fish at Atwood most likely. My advice, fish the upper end of the lake.

4. bluesport77

bluesport77 New Member

State:
    Canton, Ohio
    stay in 4-6 foot of water on mud flats near a drop use shrimp on atwood this time of year if your not gettin hits right away on that switch to cut shad goodluck buddy see ya there ........chad harmon

5. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    hey thanks for the advice were you guys at the Findlay tourney? Shrimp is almost always my bait of choice so we will see how it goes. Like I said I appreciate the advice telling me good ways to fish a lake in a tourney that your in you must be a hell of a guy. With so many teams it's hard to get to know everyone if you see me introduce yourself. And Jeff thanks for the advice i really haven't looked at a map yet I just got home from working in Indianapolis all week so Jeff when we leave the boat ramp is the upper side to the right or the left? Also do you know if there is another launch we could use since there are so many boats, and maybe even a launch that is on the upper side cuz are trolling motor and 2 batteries will only get us so far. My dad has been really sick this week the doctor prescribed him steroids and breathing treatments he has enphysema and still smokes and I guess he could barely breathe this week. But like always he told me come hell or high water he will be there he lives for the tourneys. My dad loves the guys at the tourneys he asks alot of questions about spots and baits and such and some people don't like that. But the truth is he really has nothing but good things to say about everyone on the circuit and is really just trying to make new friends. Most of the guys are real nice and share their info I know this is compettiton and some guys don't share any info and that is there right because everyone wants to win and my dad and I have no problems with that. It's just real cool some guys like the Harrison Hills boys and especially Jeff tell you almost anything you ask. Neocats truly has given me and my dad something to look forward to all year long. Again thanks for the advice, from Chad and Jeff and look forward to seeing the Pennsylvania boys lets all catch alot of fish.

6. bluesport77

bluesport77 New Member

State:
    Canton, Ohio
    no i wasnt out at findley im just startin to fish this circuit i usually fish cripple creeks tournaments this one seems like it gets a pretty good following figured id try my luck in it just tryin to get my name out there ya know. yeah i know what ya mean about tryin to get information from people sometimes people get too serious about stuff its all about the fun and the big fish!! if people are worried someone else is going to use the same bait or fish the same type structure as they are in a tourney and their worried about losing they obviously cant fish that well!! lol! just kiddin! when i started flathead fishin no one told me anything and it was frustrating there wasnt even any tourneys involved! i had to teach myself how by trial and error it took me 3 years to even catch one! that was one of the most gratifying fish i ever caught. soo i guess what im gettin at is feel free to ask me if ya have any more questions. just make sure when you get this stuff down that you will be there to help someone out one day.

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    By the upper end, I was referring to the head waters. The area where we launched from last year. I will be allowing people to launch from other ramps at Atwood, but you have to wait until the starting time to leave the registration site. I know Skip is planning on going back to the Marina and launching, where we did last year.

8. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    chad i have never caught a flathead in my life I will say I am good at catching channels though. Also look forward to seeing u the more people that fish the more fish that will be caught. Hey Jeff where is the ramp that we are launching at this year I just assumed we would be launching from the same place we did last year.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Registration will be held at the boat ramp on SR 212 next to the dam.

10. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Thanks for the advice on where to try and land some cats guys. I know i'm at a pretty big disadvantage since i've never seen Atwood or any for the lakes on the tourney trail. But thants not going to stop me:big_smile:

11. formula383

formula383 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Jeff,
    I havent fished any of your tourneys till tomorrow. If we get registered can we launch and dock our boat till tourney time or do we have to launch it after tourney starts? Thanks.

Wayne, formula383

12. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    im not jeff but I was in 11 t ourneys last year and the 1st one this year. He or somebody will check your boat, and then you can put it in before the tourney startrs but it does need checked first. Look forward to seeing u tomorrow.

13. formula383

formula383 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ya i was wondering. I have done 2 many tourneys that the boats and coolers r never checked, not pointing fingers but we all know how it can be. I got only a 9.9 kicker, anything to make my slow drive to the honeyhole will help.

14. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    You can launch after your boat is checked. One team member must be present at the pre-tournament meeting. You can also launch from the other ramps.

15. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    yeah it is very good that the coolers are checked to make sure nobody cheats.

16. FreeWorldFishing

FreeWorldFishing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    another great tournament Jeff, thank you!!