Attwood pump problems

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by solomon, Apr 25, 2006.

1. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Bought a 750 gph Attwood pump and ran it for less than a day and it quit. I hooked it up on through the shell of a deep freeze I'm using for a bait tank. The pump has a 4 amp fuse and I wired it into a 1200 mA AC/DC adapter. You can unplug it and plug it back in and the water will jump a little in the hose, but you can't hear anything from the pump and it doesn't start running.

2. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    These pumps are normally rock solid. The amp draw on a similar pump is 3.4 amps. Here in lie your problem. You can't run it on a 1200ma power supply, in my opinion.

Hook it up to a battery charger set on low (2-6 amps) setting and see if it works then.

3. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    So you think maybe I ruined the adapter? The pump ran for about 10 hours before it quit.

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The amp draw on the pump should be around 2.5 amps which is double what your adapter is rated for. That's what probably burned up. You have to be careful with some of those wall adapters because they are unregulated and can put out upwards of 20 volts on a 12 volt model.

5. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I smoked a modem power supply when I plugged it in to a larger modem. It ran for a little while before I smelled smoke. It was made for a smaller modem and couldn't handle the demand.
    Yep, I would imagine the power adapter is toast. Hook the leads up to a multimeter and check out the voltage. The Attwood should be OK.

Hooked up to an adequate power supply, that pump will spin faster.

6. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Great info guys. That makes sense, because I did notice that with the size hose that fit onto the manufacturer's hose fitting on the pump, every now and then it would get a big bubble back into the hose from the spray bar, like it wasn't putting out enough water. I didn't understand this because the bar is 1/2" pvc with 5 1/16" holes, and the pump is 750 GPH. I figured it should be spitting water out pretty good, and it wasn't.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Soloman just a comment on the spray bar.Long and difficult research in keeping bait and large fish alive for tournaments has led me to the conclusion that spray bars have minimal effect in larger tanks.Sure there is a lot of noise and satisfying gurgles with bubbles but the item you want injected into the water;air or oxygen doesnt penetrate that well and tends to evaporate along with the surface layer.Get yourself a pump which has the airstones you can place on the bottom so the air has a chance to dissovle in the water.Or circulate fresh water in from the bottom and you will have better luck.Temp is also a key item.:)

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    1/2 pvc and 5-1/16 holes? seems to me you have way too little and not enough holes! i have a 500gph attwood in one of my cooler bait tanks and i have 8-1/8 holes and actually think i need to drill a few more or bigger holes. take an extra peice of pvc and keep drilling holes in it until you notice a significant drop in the spray then drill out your spray bar accordingly. i leave the spray bar unglued so i can remove it to clean debris.

9. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    what I meant was that it wasn't spraying very hard. I thought about getting one of the ones like the old feller has in the bait shop in his minnow tanks, but I don't know where to look.

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
  11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
  12. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS