Attwood or Drift Master Rod Holders?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by Aquacat, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Can someone tell me the difference between the attwood rod holders and the drift master rod holders? They both look the same? Which do you prefer?

2. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    The main difference (besides looks and overall design) is that the attwood will hold a rod with a bigger butt section.

If that's not important to you, then it's just a matter of preference.

3. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    turtle, do have the attwood or drift master? What degree is your holders?

4. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I prefer and use DRIFTMASTER PRO rod holders. They are made of 1/2" material where the lil pros use 3/8". The Pros hold large diameter butt sections, and when mounted properly they are "ROCK SOLID". I was using the atwoods because of the price difference, but when a fish hit they made alot of cracking and popping sounds which made me a nervous wreck worrying about loosing one of my rigs. :eek: I HIGHLY recommend the DRIFTMASTERS !

5. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    catmankev, thank you for your information. Anybody else have some thoughts?

6. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I actually have the Fish-On Rod holders. My Dad bought these about 15 years ago, so I had them when I started catfishing. I don't like them near as well as the attwoods because they are narrower. You have to slide your rod out the end. Very annoying.

I've used both attwood and the driftmasters. I like the adjustability of the attwoods. In all fairness, though, I haven't used the one that catmankev is talking about, so that may be much better.

Whatever you get, DO make sure you mount them securely. The attwoods may have a little more flex to them but I'm confident they will hold up.

7. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Both Attwood and Drift Master has several different mounts. Do the different mounts make a big difference? Is one better than the other? Some have three bolt holes while others have two? Any thoughts?

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The different bases are mainly for the variety of places where they can be mounted. Not all boats are the same. I like the 45 degree and the 30 degree driftmasters. The 30 degree holders can also be fished 0 degree if you are fishing straight down. To be honest it’s hard press to beat the driftmasters there nice and solid. I used some J-B weld on 2 of my bases where I could not get under and place a bolt and nut. That solved the problem of self taping screws working there way out when a fish slammed the bait. The only downside of the driftmasters are there a bit pricy but well worth the money.

9. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    crazy, thanks for the information. I like the jb weld idea.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Aqua, you can get the 3/8 type on e-bay with the mounts for 5 buxs a piece when you purchase 6 of them. A guy makes them in his shop, look just like the driftmaster with out the price tag.

11. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    spoonfish, thanks for information. I love ebay you can find anything. How many rod holders do you guys put on your boat?

12. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Since atwood or driftmaster are not BOC sponsors, and u live in North Texas, I'll give u another alternative. Bee Ready Rod holders. These are the best rodholders Ive seen. Im not trying to sell them but check out their site. http://www.edswebshop.com/bee1.htm

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I am sure I have both brand names on my boat.I can not see any difference in their performance. I bought mine at wally world. :D

14. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Verlon, thanks for your input. It looks like a few of you have some high praises for both of them. Thank you all for the information. :)

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The bee ready holder looks more for crappie fishing. That mount sure does look pretty weak.

16. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I agree with Crazy on the bee ready rod holders. Saw them at a boat show last winter. They mount with a single bolt and the base is plastic.

17. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    your right guys, bee ready rod holders seem to be for crappie fishing.

18. Pferox69

Pferox69 New Member

State:
    Bartow, Florida
    I've had atwoods on my boat for alot of years and they have held up fine.
    The bonus is I can get replacements if need em at Wallie's.

19. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    It seems that attwoods can be find just about anywhere. I sure you can find drift master in all the fishing websites?